Auotmotive ?'s (mechanical) Please help....

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Luis S, Apr 25, 2004.

1. Luis S

Luis S Supporting Actor

Hey gang,

Okay so I just bought a 2004 F-150 (Sweet btw [​IMG] ) and have noticed a peculiar noise. In the morning from a cold start some kind of whine or squeal comes from the engine. The noise is preasent for the first half of my morning comute at anything below 40 mph or so. However after either accelerating past that point or the truck having been driven awhile it goes away. And later in the day when I start it its non existant.

Any ideas what it is? Should I be concerned? It seems to be a common thing as I hear other vehicles on the road with the same noise from time to time. I just thought it was odd in my new truck. And I dont remember if it did that when I bought it the sound was present. Any help to ease my mind would be greatly appreciated of course.

Thanks in advance,

Luis S

2. Cam McFarland

Cam McFarland Supporting Actor

check for loose belts.....

3. Luis S

Luis S Supporting Actor

Thanks for replying Cam. Where should I begin? Im a novice when it comes to engines so any detail you could give would be very helpful. Is it a particular belt I should look for?

Thanks again!

Luis S

4. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

it's a 2004, let the dealer worry about it.
    It's been a long time since I've looked at a ford engine, but it's probably one big serpentine belt, if it IS a belt problem, DEALER.

5. Cam McFarland

Yep, I would imagine one belt as well....I make a habit
    of NOT looking under Ford hoods....lol

sorry, j/k, I am a Chevy guy.

If you dont know what belt, then surely take it to the dealer & ask them to check it.

The reason it stops squealing is because of the friction
    created & then it gets sticky as it heats up.

6. Luis S

Luis S Supporting Actor

Philip,

Thanks for the response. Looks like a trip to the dealer it is. Looking under the hood I do see a big serpentine belt. That may be it [​IMG]

Cam,

I suspected that would be why it stops. Thanks for the info. And as for being a chevy guy, hey nobody's perfect. [​IMG]

Thanks again for all your help guys, If you have any other thoughts on what it could be other than a faulty or loose belt please let me know.

Thanks again,

Luis S

7. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

they're OK.
    but I'm a mazda guy, so I'm 30 some odd percent a ford guy by definition [​IMG]
    We had ford pickups growing up, they were always pretty OK. Better than the volvos the 'rents had.
    I don't EVER remember having to change the belt in hundreds of thousands of miles on several trucks, odd. Had most of them from the 302 to the 460 and a powerstroke.

8. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

My car had a particular squeaking noise for a little while, almost a chirp. Turns out it was the belt. The dealer replaced it and the noise went away. Heck, when you got a new car, if something seems wrong let the dealer worry about it, that's what they're there for.

9. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

New Ford eh! Time to go get something fixed[​IMG]

brent

10. Cam McFarland

I had a belt let loose at about 100mph in my 91 Chevy
    Silverado on the toll road going home some 4-5 yrs. ago.
    Pretty exciting losing your power steering & brakes
    & having your motor overheat all at once.
    Tricky part was turning the motor off without locking
    the steering wheel, all the while trying to stop &
    steer with no power assist.....[​IMG]

11. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

FORD = Fix Or Repair Daily

[​IMG] Just kidding.

They'll probably just spray some belt dressing on it to make it stick better and keep it from slipping.

A squeaky belt can be the sign of other things such as a bad alternator or crooked pulley. But, since your truck is new, I'd say it's probably just loose.

12. Luis S

Luis S Supporting Actor

Arrgghh! I knew I should have consulted with you guys in this forum before making a purchase! HT related or not! [​IMG]

But thats okay its a beautiful truck and Im very excited to have it anyway. Believe it or not its my first vehicle purchase. And at 25 I felt I was due. I've had hand me downs before so it felt pretty good to be able to pick exactly what I wanted and brand new too.Black, Lariat with all the trimmings, and It had only 5 miles on it when I drove it home [​IMG]! kind of a personal victory I guess. I might post pictures later but I havent decided.

So I guess we've established its a faulty/loose belt? Serpentine to be exact? Just want to be sure. I set an appointment for tommorrow morning to get it fixed. She's my baby and needs immediate care. [​IMG] Anyway thanks again everybody. Youve helped me rest a little easier knowing its not really a big deal and easily fixed. I'll update tommorrow when I get it back from the dealer.

Oh, one more thing. Any recomendations where to get good prices on accessories for trucks on the web? Hows ebay for this? Im looking for some chrome step bars to be exact. Someone on ebay had a pair for $150. I thought that was awesome. But Id like to use someone reliable even if it costs a little more. Locally Im looking at about $400. Any suggestions would of course be appreciated. [​IMG]

Thanks again,

Luis S

P.S. I thought it stood for F**ked Over Rebuilt Dodge? [​IMG]

13. Luis S

Luis S Supporting Actor

An update:

Took it to the dealers this morning for service. Mid day I get a call. Turns out it was something with the sepentine belt AND the pulley. Seems mine is not the first with this problem. Might be a widespread defect. [​IMG] Fortunately there was a fix. Unfortunately it just took them all day to hear back from Ford regarding the proper procedure. Or so they say. Either way they werent able to finish today so by tommorrow afternoon I should have my truck back. [​IMG] At least they gave me the rental in the meantime.

I want to thank you all for your help. Thanks to you guys I was able to specifically point out the problem instead of having them waste alot of time running around before they found it. You guys all have my sincerest thanks. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Take care,

Luis S

14. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

and this news doesn't make you nervous about the next 5 years? [​IMG]
    Glad it worked out, pulleys go bad, I need a new one on the miata in fact.

15. Cam McFarland

Louis, for the record, I really like the looks of the 04
    Ford trucks....

did I really say that ????

16. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

This being such a new model, it's not surprising that a glitch or two might show up especially on a Ford product. Took 'em 3 or 4 years to get the Focus up from poor to average reliability according to Consumer Reports.

The fact that Ford had a solution available at this early date is encouraging though, means the engineers are on the ball and the factory is really trying instead of just ignoring stuff like they used to. Kudos to Ford on this one.

17. Luis S

Luis S Supporting Actor

Philip,

All kidding aside, yeah I suppose theres a part of me that wonders. Then again my previous vehicle was a 1987 F-150 thats almost at 200,000 miles. [​IMG] So I guess Im not THAT worried. But we're not out of the woods yet. I gotta go back tommorrow. Hopefully all will be well by the time I get there after work. Wish me luck!

Cam,

Well I must admit I was only a mild fan of the F150 style till the 04 models hit. They just looked so awesome to me I fell in love instantly. My previous fav was a Ram. But the style hasnt really changed all that much. I kinda grew out of my taste for it. Not too mention I absolutely LOVE the Ford Lariat interior. Really slick IMHO. [​IMG] Its ok to admit your love for ford Cam. Most Chevy guys just keep it a secret anyway. [​IMG]

Take care,

Luis S

18. Luis S

Luis S Supporting Actor

"The fact that Ford had a solution available at this early date is encouraging though, means the engineers are on the ball and the factory is really trying instead of just ignoring stuff like they used to. Kudos to Ford on this one."

I completely agree. It was a bit of a shock actually. When the rep called me he flat out told me "Yeah, we could put a new belt, solve the problem for awhile. But then in 2 weeks time youd be back for the same problem. We want to fix it right the first time." Impressed me I must say. Then again I wont know for sure till Im driving it again. But so far the service has been great. [​IMG]

Take care,

Luis S

19. Shane Roach

Shane Roach Stunt Coordinator

Since we're discussing Ford engineering, I'm curious if the blue oval boys still assemble their cars with a mix of SAE and metric fasteners. Unless I need to remove the crankshaft pulley or rear axles, I can tear my 240SX down with five sockets and a Philips screwdriver. But whenever I need to do anything to my mom's 92 Taurus I usually wind up pulling from both sides of the toolbox.

The Taurus was pretty decent when it was new, but it's long since run its race. It's literally worth more in parts than it is as a complete vehicle, and I'll be glad when she has the time to decide on a replacement. Steve, you'll be glad to know the Solara is on the list of candidates.