Auntie Mame DVD another winner from Warner!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Gordon McMurphy, Sep 30, 2002.

1. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

2. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I preordered this DVD months ago. Auntie Mame has always been one of my all-time favorite movies.

3. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Producer
    Supporter

This is great news! One of my favorites.
    Thanks for the review of the DVD!

mw

4. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    I don't know if I got a bad copy or what?

Guess one shouldn't complain too much because this movie almost didn't make it to DVD. The original source materials was so badly destroyed from improper storage, it was seen as impossible to restore years ago. Guess they found a good alternate source?

But still... I get an audio "pop" when the menu first comes up and colors bleed. I noticed that blacks also bleed with a blue halo effect. Look at Mame's hair in the opening scenes. Her orange coat bleeds and her lips from the red lipstick are almost invisible.

I don't have this problem with other discs and haven't changed a thing with settings. "Singin' In The Rain" pops out on my screen in comparison.

5. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

Steven,

It could be this particular DVD with your player. My copy doesn't bleed and actually looks pretty great.

6. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I have not dedected any problems with my copy, either.

7. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    We watched AUNTIE MAME a few days ago. I was stunned at how good the picture quality is for this 44 year old movie. Tremendous transfer. Colors were vibrant and I didn't see any bleeding. A little softness here and there, but that probably reflects the film source.

Warner should be congratulated on the quality of their recent catalog releases. I wish all the studios would do such a good job on older titles. Now I hope they continue this trend for future releases and also go back and work their magic on special edition reissues for some of their titles like BRIGADOON, SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS, SHOW BOAT, THE MUSIC MAN, CAMELOT, etc.

8. Jefferson

Jefferson Supporting Actor

We were discussing in another thread, the audio "pop' and hiss on the menu screen music.

But the film itself? Stunning.
    No bleeding on my copy.
    Fantastic film.
    I don't consider it an "oddity".

9. Brandon Gantt

Brandon Gantt Second Unit

Now if only Warner will give us that 1974 musical classic MAME starring Lucille Ball! :wink:
    "You coax the Blues right out of the horn, Maaaame!"

10. Jefferson

Jefferson Supporting Actor

Someone also mentioned that a stereo soundtrack
    for this exists in a print that is in a collection
    somewhere or other....UCLA?
    It is a shame it was not possible to use it for this dvd release.

11. RobertSiegel

RobertSiegel Screenwriter
    Reviewer

All of these releases from Warner are made from HD transfers. The reason I know this is comparing the airings on HDNET in high-def with the dvd's they are the same new transfers. AUNTIE MAME in high-def is absolutely stunning. I recorded it on my high def DVR and then compared that version with the dvd. It's the same transfer, but there is NO comparison. WOW....the high def version is absolutely stunning, and when I put the dvd on, I was saddened at how bad the dvd looks. Don't get me wrong. When I picked up the dvd of AUNTIE MAME, I was thrilled at how good it looks compared to previous VHS and laser releases, but once I saw it in HD, it made me realize just how these films can look. I am using a Sony 11HT Projector, and I simply can't wait for these classics in HD.

HDNET has also been showing other Warner/MGM films. In the last 6 months, they have presented the gift of HD movies like MY FAIR LADY, MUSIC MAN, BRIGADOON and I have to say they all look absolutely fantastic. The quality varies from movie to movie, but AUNTIE MAME has been the best looking classic film on these channels. From what I hear, the high-def DVDs will look much better, that transmission of these on cable have some problems, so if that's the case, wow.

The only sad thing about AUNTIE MAME is the fact that it is mono. Jack Warner, in a book I recently read, was known to dispose of the stereo tracks for many of his movies, only keeping the mono versions. That is really sad. Although AUNTIE MAME has no musical numbers, the underscore is fabulous and it would have been nice to hear it in its stereo form.

12. RobertSiegel

RobertSiegel Screenwriter
    Reviewer

Brandon, I agree with you, why havn't they released the 1974 musical version? There are plenty of Lucy lovers out there waiting for it, I've seen their posts on web sites requesting it. I have mixed feelings about that version. MAME is one of my favorite Broadway scores. I think they massacred the score for the movie. In Jerry Herman's autobiography, he says he had to have Lucy sing one line of each song and they had to put it all together that way. The song OPEN A NEW WINDOW, she could not get the half note on the word "door(open a new window open a new door), so he had her sing the word "door" at another time and mix it in. Any of the songs Lucy sings in this movie are ruined (my opinion of course). If you listen to the Angela Lansbury version, you can see how perfect these songs are.

I would buy the movie for several reasons. One is the overture during the titles which is pretty good. The other is for the number MAME, which was beautifully filmed. Finally, the orchestration for IT'S TODAY is actually better than the broadway version. The broadway version is good but the movie used 20's orchestrations for the song and I love that version.

I recently got to see MAME as a touring production on the stage and what a wonderful show this was live. I am looking forward to the upcoming tv movie, a remake of this musical and really hope that someone who can actually sing is hired. I think LIZA MINELLI would be wonderful, but they are talking about, believe it or not, CHER! Wouldn't that be the same mistake they made before? I don';t feel that the 1974 movie worked because Lucy is not an elegant woman like Russell was. And I don't think CHER is either, and that's what the role requires. As Jerry Herman stated in his book, he went to Warner Brothers when he heard of their casting, and said that this will not be funny when Lucy slides down the banister at the begining, because she's a known clown. What makes the scene funny is an elegant woman slides down.

Well, sorry to carry on, this title is my favorite musical, and I've always wondered what the movie would have been like with a trained singer. The 1974 version has it's merits, like Bea Arthur (fabulous) and Robert Preston (great casting). I hope Warner will be able to find the stereo masters and remix the film for stereo this time, 2 previous laser releases and 3 different VHS versions have all been mono.

13. frank manrique

frank manrique Supporting Actor

I have a D-VHS copy of the HDnet Movie channel's hi-def transmission of Auntie Mame, a real sophisticated comedy of the late 50s; it handily beats the DVD version in all respects...although the latter is truly a beautiful transfer in its own right. [​IMG] Both versions have mono sound...
    -THTS