What's new

August Austin HTF meet. (1 Viewer)

Gomez

Agent
I'll let you know about movie night. I have to see which night this week we can host a movie night. Stay tuned.

Golf is an expensive hobby I agree however if you get a twilight tee time then it's pretty reasonable.

Humphrey

Stunt Coordinator
First of, all the meet Saturday was great and gave me several points to utilize in my effort to control the sound in my small room. The mini projector shootout was also great. Finally was able to see a L300 up close and personal. Thanks to our host and everyone else participating in the fun.

Re: LOTR TT:
I'm not sure if I'll be able to get it at midnight, if not I'll be @ BestBuy @ 10am that's for sure! Can't wait to host a screening of it.
Wally World also put's these up for sale at midnight as well. Every week whatever the title. Of course, several times they didn't know what price they were going for until the day manager gets there the next morning. ??? Price will vary between different Walmarts, significantly at times. The one near Circle C at 290 and MoPac is $3-4 cheaper on new releases than the one on I-35 at Stassney. Hey, I work weird hours so I know this .

Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (Widescreen)(2 DVD Set)(Dolby Digital) tomorrow (08/26/03) 179 mins

And for those that really desire it: and can wait a few months (just like the last release)...

Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (Extended Edition) (Widescreen)(4 DVD Set)(DD & DTS)(Platinum Series) will be out 11/18/03

I haven't seen how many minutes the extended edition will have. There's also going to be a 4 disc DTS "Gift Set" as well (more book ends?).

Just fyi. I plan on waiting 'til November but I know lots of people chomping at the bit that will gladly buy it twice.

Brian>B

Auditioning
Hey guys,

It was nice visiting with you all for the first time. Quite a decent group of folks. With regard to room treatments I went over to D.A. Warden today and picked up some linacoutic. I purchased the 36" vs. the 48" -- did I screw up going with the 36" instead of the 48"? In addition the price of the 100' roll went up from last week -- talk about inflation!

The 36" roll last week was $133.07 today $149.04.
The 48" roll last week was $178.06 today $199.43.

Brian

Gomez

Agent
I completely forgot about Wally World thanks! Wally World in RR and off of 620 and 183 are usually pretty cheap.

I'll probably buy the LOTR version that's coming out tomorrow and then do like I did when the ext version came out...bought it was well. I'm impatient as you can see plus it will give me another movie to show off the L300 on.

Matrix Re-Loaded comes out in Nov I belive, hopefully they'l come out w/ a better version of the Matrix, preferable in DTS or Superbit. :D

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Claude, thanks for hosting and thanks to the folks at Mirus Audio (Doc & Igor) for putting together an enlightening presentation on acoustical analysis. I wish I had been able to make it earlier, but there was still plenty of valuable information to be had.

Rich_Ave

Stunt Coordinator
Claude, I would like to add my thanks as well for hosting our group. I appreciate your willingness to open up your home. I'd also like to thank Jonathan and Scott for the very interesting discussion on room acoustics. I feel very fortunate to be involved with such a large group of knowledgeable folks.
Rich

Claude Parent

Auditioning
Everyone,
You are all very welcome!! It was great meeting all of you and sharing the afternoon with our passion/obsession.

Thanks to those who brought projectors for out mini-showdown. I have been considering many of these models and await the [hopeful] release of more following CEDIA. Also, thanks for allowing the sig other to see what it would be like. The cause is working, slowly but surely.

Claude Parent

Auditioning
Everyone,
You are all very welcome!! It was great meeting all of you and sharing the afternoon with our passion/obsession.

Thanks to those who brought projectors for out mini-showdown. I have been considering many of these models and await the [hopeful] release of more following CEDIA. Also, thanks for allowing the sig other to see what it would be like. The cause is working, slowly but surely.

Gomez

Agent
Claude,

You and the wife should come over some Thurs night to see CSI in HD, that just might convince the wife to get the pj. MNF is pretty compelling as well, my sig other even said "this is better than being at an actual game!"

mike_frontier

Supporting Actor
Diddo here. Thanks Claude for the meet to be held at your home. Also it was great to meet everyone.
I enjoyed it all and thanks to Dr. J and his partner for the mini class about Acoustics for the room (cool software BTW):emoji_thumbsup:

mike_frontier

Supporting Actor
Diddo here. Thanks Claude for the meet to be held at your home. Also it was great to meet everyone.
I enjoyed it all and thanks to Dr. J and his partner for the mini class about Acoustics for the room (cool software BTW):emoji_thumbsup:

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
To answer Chad's question yes I am still interested in building some DIY sound treatments.

My wish list is:
4 ceiling corner treatments to reduce horn loading (may or may not be needed)
2 absorbtion panels for the ceiling (definately want these)

I think I am fine in the bass department, as Julian had correctly guessed I would be.

I am also going to get a couple of short wide plants to place behind my speakers as additional diffusors.

Would love to get two additional Argent Room Lenses to further flank my speakers, but that is going to be much latter and probably never in my current place.

The wife is also wanting to put some type of art piece on the back wall. I am arguing with her that if we do something we should at least go with a contoured piece for additional diffusion or some tapestry for more absorbtion. She wanted a framed picture and I was quickly swaying her from such acoustic nightmares (I have enough glass already)
I personally would like to get some really nice looking all wood diffusion piece to hang back there, since I already have one diffusor in the Room Lense.

OR

OR

Gomez

Agent
Have you all seen the new 1601 HD channel? Right now they're showing the U.S. Open on it and it looks phenomenal! They also show a looped preview regarding new and upcoming shows for INHD and INHD2 and it looks amazing. We watched it 2x last night. Heck I'm willing to show it for those of you that don't have HD.

For more info about INHD just go to their site.

J-man thanks for letting me borrow your Avia DVD, I fine tuned the panny and it looks even better! Has anyone bought tne new Video Essentials 2 yet? Just curious as to how it is, I know it's only around $25.

Gomez

Jeff Meininger

Second Unit
I tried watching 1601 last night, but no picture ever displayed. The other HD channels worked just fine.

I hope they debut Discovery HD soon. That will be nifty.

Gomez

Agent
Really? what time? I know they only broadcast at a certain time? Wonder why it never showed up for you?

September 15 is when they'll be broadcasting more shows as well as debuting INHD2. Can't wait!

Gomez

Agent
FYI,

For those of you that own or will be purchasing the Panny L300U, be sure to clean out your air filter every 100 hours. Does it say this in the manual? Yes, did I read it or do I ever read manuals? NO! haha. I freaked out because I noticed a light green sort of dot (size of a tennis ball) on the right portion of my screen, and it just appeared about a week ago. I thought I messed up something when I fine tuned my pj w/ Avia but that wasn't the case. After stressing out about it, I called VisualApex and they told me to clean the filter. I used a vacuum cleaner and it sucked out all the dust and there was a lot after 143 hours of use.

Moral of the story, clean the filter every 100 hours; better yet, read the manual! :D

Jeff Meininger

Second Unit
I have a dust blob too. Search AVS forum to find a detailed write-up of how to remove the case cover and use compressed air (re-air if possible) to blast the panels clean. It looked relatively easy and non-invasive, actually. Sorry I don't have a link.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Cleaning air filters for LCD FPs on a regular bases is also important in order to prtect the panels from excessive heat. If the filter isn't clean it will trap more heat within the unit and if it gets hot enough it will damage the color panels.

The majority of malfunctioning LCD projectors sent in to Sony in 2002 for service were due to clogged air filters.

mike_frontier

Supporting Actor
Cleaning air filters for LCD FPs on a regular bases is also important in order to prtect the panels from excessive heat. If the filter isn't clean it will trap more heat within the unit and if it gets hot enough it will damage the color panels.
Call me crazy... but as of yet I have seen any dust blobs on my PJ. What I do about every 3 weeks is I get my Turbo Vac6000 (hand vacume,,, pretty powerful little thing) and I put it up to the vents of my pj to suck out the dust and I think it works out. Have a little over 400 hours on it and no complaints.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks