1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

August Austin HTF meet.

Discussion in 'Home Theater Forum Meets' started by Colin Dunn, Jul 20, 2003.

1. Greg Risley

Greg Risley Second Unit

Hey Guys

I'm not going to be able to make it since we're a little shorthanded at the shop right now. Please post highlights.

Also if anyone is intrested, the Paramount Theater is showing 'To Kill a Mocking Bird' tonight at 7:15 and 9:25. The wife and I are going to the late show, if anyone wants to meet.

Later
    Greg

2. Claude Parent

Claude Parent Auditioning

Frederick -
    Thanks for the info on posting home information - I did not think of that and have edited my posting. I am not familiar with Cedar Park Drive cutting all the way thru to Parmer. Staying off 620 is always good news!!

Mike,
    No, I am not that friend of Jonathan. I am the other friend that lives in Avery. [​IMG]

Looking forward to having everyone over and seeing the projectors in action.

3. Brian>B

Brian>B Auditioning

I've been trying to get my id to work. I'd like to attend, I'm coming from West Austin, and have a 300U available. Should I bring it -- as a spare?

Brian[​IMG]

4. Claude Parent

Claude Parent Auditioning

Brian,
    I am not sure who is bringing which project, but with the 300U weighing in at

5. Jonathan DA

Jonathan DA Screenwriter

Side note: I just found the Benq PE8700 online for $4650. With prices dropping so fast on HD2 machines I think I may abandon my plans for the HT1000 and just look for a price drop on the lower end projectors like the L300U after CEDIA. That should hold me over for a couple fo years until I can pick up a 1280x720 (or better) projector for about $1500.

Doug_H, if you're reading this please bring your X1, I'd love to know if I can tolerate a 2x color wheel. The 1x wheels drove me nuts, but the 3x wheel is just fine, so I'm curious of my reaction to the X1.

6. mike_frontier

mike_frontier Supporting Actor

Cool I really want to see the 300U in action.

------------------

jda,

I forgot to mention this but you remember when you were at my home checking out my Z1.

Well at that time when you were checking it out I had my dvd player setting on Progressive but in FULL,, which also when I set it to Native 16:9 and notice we never saw black bars when watching the dvds in 16:9?

Well yesterday I was messing with my dvd player setup and I switched back to 4:3 and set it to Progressive and while watching Platoon in 16:9 and now pic image in smaller and yes I see the bars on top and bottom now,, but the picture is so much cleaner and can see no kind of blurry image. I also honestly did not see no screen door at 14' back.
    So I think I finally set my dvd player and PJ properly to get the picture image I was suppose to get. It was all in the dvd player setup what was incorrect.

7. Jonathan DA

Jonathan DA Screenwriter

Mike, glad to hear you found the correct setup for you. If it's not mounted why don't you bring it over tomorrow, I'd like to see it with the different settings.

Which reminds me, Claude's dvd player isn't progressive (!!!!) could someone bring a progessive player with them? I'll have my HTPC, but the L300 is a bit finicky with HTPCs. Our projector reviews might not be too hot without an interlaced player.

8. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

9. mike_frontier

mike_frontier Supporting Actor

10. Gomez

Gomez Agent

First post and today will be my first HT meeting! I can't wait. Frederick if you read this before the meet, can you bring that DIY mag you were telling me about when you were doing my PJ install? I'll be bringing my SuperSpeedway dvd for those of you that haven't already seen it.

Can't wait!

Gomez

11. Chad Anson

Chad Anson Second Unit

See yall in a little bit. I'm bringing my L300.

12. Mark Hayenga

Mark Hayenga Supporting Actor

I can't believe I ate a tortilla chip...

13. Jeff Meininger

Jeff Meininger Second Unit

Screw ketosis... pass the salsa!!!!

I really wanted to attend this meet, but just couldn't cram it into my weekend plans (work, work, and more work). Anyone care to give me a brief recap?

14. Frederick_Falk

Frederick_Falk Second Unit

Gomez,

Please send me your email address and I will make arrangements on getting you the articles you were wanting. If I remember correctly, you were wanting the article on how to build risers, correct?

15. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Mark, one stinking chip? Get over it and deal with reality[​IMG] It was a good meet - thanks to Claude for hosting the HT Wild Bunch!
    I would have liked more detail on additional room treatments (panels, bass traps), but that's for another time.
    Colin, are you ready to be "measured"? I would think your HT dimensions/shape are fairly easy and therefore affordable - ask Dr. T for a quote. We could build panels and bass traps in my garage shop.

16. Chad Anson

Chad Anson Second Unit

Thanks, Claude, for hosting! Pelan and I had a great time.

Hank, I hired Dr. J to measure my room and pending his results, will be down with building one or more bass traps. I think that Tubes was wanting to build some as well a couple of weeks back.

17. Jonathan DA

Jonathan DA Screenwriter

Colin, your room would be an interesting project. Since you have dipole speakers the placement of the absorbers would differ from the average setup. Would be fun to do, let me know if you're interested. I should have Chad's room finished in about a week and then Hank can satisfy his construction lust.

For further reading about the practical application of acoustical treatments, or about room acoustics in general, I suggest picking up a copy of the de facto reference on the topic--
    The Master Handbook of Acoustics by F. Alton Everest.
    [​IMG]

Another introductory text for surround sound applications, that will also give you a view into production, is 5.1 Surround Sound: Up and Running.
    [​IMG]

18. Gomez

Gomez Agent

Claude thanks for hosting! I had a great time. It was cool hearing and talking about various Home Theatre projects. Jonathan's presentation was very interesting, I'm anxious to have my room measured and here I thought my sound was perfect, I'm scared to see how bad it really is! I wouldn't mind hosting the next meet obviosly depending on time/date.

On another note when's the next poker night? Also does anyone in the group play golf? I play every weekend and we're always looking for extra players. Let me know if you're interested.

Oh for those die hard LOTR fans, Hastings will be selling the Two Towers tonight at midnight. I'm not sure if I'll be able to get it at midnight, if not I'll be @ BestBuy @ 10am that's for sure! Can't wait to host a screening of it.

Gomez.

19. Jonathan DA

Jonathan DA Screenwriter

Movie night! We're holding you to that Gomez.

Golf!?!? Love to play (totally suck though), but I can't afford another expensive hobby. [​IMG]

20. Colin Dunn

Colin Dunn Supporting Actor

Colin Dunn
    Jonathan -

If your measurement hardware/software will work in an environment with all dipolar speakers, I will be interested in doing the measurements. Please send me a private E-mail if you want to get into this further...