August 16th, 1977 was a sad day in music history.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Harnish, Aug 16, 2002.

1. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

I wasn't even a glimmer in my mother's eye but that didn't stop me from discovering Elvis Presley and his music (as well as the great music of many other artists).

Elvis Presley was pronounced dead today 25 years ago at Baptist Memorial Hospital in Memphis, Tennessee at 3 p.m. Eastern Time. It's very impressive that he's still selling records and making the charts (even though a recent certain remix of a certain song angers a few folks) even 25 years after his death. Talk about staying power!

Whether you like or dislike Elvis Presley's music, there is no denying his meteoric impact and influence on pop culture and music. Even John Lennon himself remarked that "without Elvis, there would never have been The Beatles."

Let's all have a few moments of silence for The King.

2. Robert McDonald

Robert McDonald Stunt Coordinator

I was at my summer job at a cheesy wax museum in Orlando (Stars Hall of Fame) when it was announced he had died..... no one could nor wanted to believe it [​IMG]
    Long live the King!

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I was seven years-old at the time. My brother and I were watching TV when a newsflash came on the screen announcing that Elvis had been found dead in a bathroom in his home. I didn't really know music at age seven, but I knew that was a very sad day.

4. Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor Supporting Actor

I was 9 back then, living just a few miles south from Graceland across the MS stateline. I remember the local newscast interrupting my Star Trek bliss to give the account of his death, and I ran into my mother's bedroom to rouse her from her afternoon nap. She didn't believe me at first.

Now I still live just a few miles east of Graceland. You should see all the people there today. I just hope too many of those people don't venture too far from the mansion, as it's not in the most wonderful neighborhood anymore.

5. paul_v

paul_v Second Unit

I like Elvis' music. Jailhouse Rock and "Can't help falling in Love" are probably my favorite Elvis songs. I wonder what he would be like now. ABC interviewed his cousin and he thinks that he would have probably been a gospel singer now if he were still alive.

"Elvis is alive, we're dead" - Bono

6. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

On a brighter note, this date in 1977 that the Farris brothers got a lead singer, saxophonist and bassist they became INXS [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]