What's new

Auditioning speakers Friday! $2000-$2500 to spend! What do you recommend! (1 Viewer)

Kelly

Grip
While the wife is Christmas shopping on Friday, I plan to spend that time auditioning speakers for dedicated HT addition to our home. The room is approximately 14x21 and will be used almost exclusively for HT, with only occasional music. I am looking to spend no more than $2500 (not including the sub), but if I can buy quality for less, I will obviously do so. Since I am no expert, give me your recommendations on what I should audition. I will be in Atlanta and almost all the popular brands are accessible. I plan to get an SVS so don't worry about sub recommendations. Thanks!

Chauncey_G

Second Unit
Best thing for you to do is to go to whatever local audio or home theater specialty stores (NOT Best Buy, Circuit City, etc.) and let them know your budget. They'll steer you in the direction of what they have in that price range.
I have a full complement of B&W CDM speakers in my HT, and I couldn't be happier. They're great speakers from one of the top manufacturers in the world. My mains are the CDM 7NT's, surrounds are the CDM 1NT's and the center is the CDM CNT. Unfortunately, the total cost for my setup is a little more than you have in your budget:
7NT's = $1700.00
1NT's = $1200.00
CNT = $600.00
B&W has a lot of different speaker choices, though. Find a local dealer and see what they can do for you. If you go to www.bwspeakers.com , you can find the dealer closest to you.
Good luck and happy hunting with whatever you end up getting! :)

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
I really like PSB speakers. What I would recommend is PSB Stratus Silveri's in the front. Stratus C5i center. one pair Image 10s for side and one pair Image 2B for rear. That might be just a little over budget though. If that is the case, consider PSB Stratus Minis for the fronts.

Paradigms are very popular as well and are excellent speakers. For that kind of budget, you should be able to get some excellent speakers. Also, don't tell the salesman your exact budget, give a range. That way you can get the product you want rather than the salesman showing you what you can "afford". What I am trying to say is that you will be more likely to get less of a good discount if you give the salesman your exact budget. YMMV of course.

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
You owe it to yourself to listen to some Definitive Technology bp2000TL's. See www.definitivetech.com for more info.
Give them about 5-10 feet in between the speakers, 1-3 feet for the rear drivers to fire, a few feet of space on the sides, built in subs probably firing outward, and use a slight toe in. Don't forget to adjust the bass volume knobs at the back of each speaker. Mate them with something like Yamaha RX-V1, B&K AVR307, high end Marantz, and maybe Denon 5800 (with separates, look into Parasound, B&K, Krell, Macintosh, Bryston).
Keep in mind that they should sound WAY better at home once you get to tweak them a bit. In the store, you may run into problems such as: other speakers in the room, poor setup, uncertainty about how much the speakers are broken in, and non-ideal wiring methods for the speakers (The DT's should be wired "full range" in the bass to get very tight and tuneful bass). Still, for HT, these DT's should sound excellent in almost any setup.
Good luck!

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
I'm another B&W fiend. I have the CDM line across the front, but my rear speakers are from the 600s series, a line lower priced than the CDMs. I use 601S2s for rears and their great. The CDM line is definitely in your price range. I would highly recommend you give a listen. Good luck.

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
Go to your local stereo salons (small stores with brands that the average guy hasn't heard of) and listen to the speakers they offer. $2500 can get you some decent speakers, and good brands in that price range are NHT, PSB, B&W, Paradigm, Energy, and Dynaudio.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Try and audition Dynaudio Contour 1.1 and 1.3 if you can as the nOrh line of speakers should sound similar or better than that. Bang for the buck, the SM 6.9 video package for $1,500 (synthetic marble mains, ceramic 4.0 center and surrounds) would get my vote though the marble 4.0 package for $1,600 is a fantastic deal too.
Def Tech, B&W, Paradigm, Dynaudio, ACI, Swan Diva, AV Reality, etc. all make excellent speakers.

Mike OConnell

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
All great suggestion so far!

Approximate prices for Paradigm Reference Series:

60's (Laminate sides, not vinyl): $1600

ADP's or 20's (laminate): $900

CC: $500

Retail total for five speakers: $3000 - you should be able to get 20% off of retail.

Given that this is for HT, and not music, you could do four 20's and a CC - Retail around $2300 w/o stands.

Or you could go with four 40's ($1200/pr retail) and a CC and be at $2900 retail, w/o stands.

You would proabably be happy with any of the above set-ups.

Let your ears decide and happy hunting.

Mike

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Given that this is for HT, and not music, you could do four 20's and a CC - Retail around $2300 w/o stands.
I also recommend this combination. Remember, that what is the best speakers are the ones that sound the best to you. These are all great suggestions. Have fun shopping.

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Another vote for B&W:)
I've been through the 600 series to the Nautilus line and I love them all. The 600 series is right up your budget alley.
2 pairs of 602s....$1200
LCR6 ..............$500
SVS sub............$700
The sound...........Priceless:)
If the gear is only for HT as you mention, I also have a soft spot for Klipsch. They are highly efficient, and for maximum impact and loudness, these are great speakers. Most theaters (commercial) use horn loaded tweeters, like Pro-JBL setups and the like. Take a look at the Reference line from Klipsch, and keep in mind....Klipsch is readily available on-line for some pretty decent discounts.
Jeremy

Takosan

Stunt Coordinator
I have the B&W 600 series:
front L/R: 603s2
center: LCR6s2
rears L/R: 602s2
sub: hopefully a SVS very soon ;-)
You're in the right direction ... audition the heck with your collection of music/movie.
Watch out what equipment is playing your collection. I loved how Paradigm (Studio 60) sounded. It was being played on separates. Since I was just beginning I couldn't afford separates but they would not let me audition with my intended receiver. Well to make a long story short I luckily found a dealer who carried B&W & although he was not a Paradigm dealer he had a buddy who was a Paradigm dealer & he arranged an A/B in couple days ... I enjoyed the B&W sound with the receiver I was buying.
IMHO don't hurry either ... it took me about 2 months or so before I closed. Good hunting!
Takosan :D

Chip E

Screenwriter
Count another vote for PSB Stratus Silveri 's, Stratus C6i and Image 10S surround's. This is what i run and a SVS 20-39PC...simply amazing.
www.psbspeakers.com
Good luck and have fun auditioning! (i did!)
- Chip

Mark Bates

Agent
I have the Atlantic Technology 270 system and I love them. Home theater mag gave these speakers their coveted Hot Ticket for speakers that have over a 95 performance and over a 95 value.

The thing about Atlantic Technolgy is that they are made for Home Theater and music comes in second.

If you have a few more bucks look at the 370 system or if you have less look at the 170 or T.90 systems.

270 is THX certified the 370 is THX Ultra.

The Definitive Technology have also recieved very good reviews.

Mark

Mark Rich

Second Unit
Gotta love Canadian speakers with our pathetic dollar. Vote for Paradigm studio series. Stdio 60's up front are a good start, 20 or 40's for surround. CC for center. Hate to agree with anything CHip E says but PSB silver or Bronze are a alternative. I switched from B&W to Paradigm and have no regrets. Kept the B&W sub though

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Are these speakers be driven by a receiver or separate power amp?
Some of the speakers been mentioned migth pose some problem with low powered receivers.[PSB,Dynaudio].
Check sensitivity,and nominal impedance,while you audition them.
I would add to the list, Boston,RBH,Def Tech[non powered],Phase Tech.Energy,brands.
Happy "haunting"!

Ricky c

Stunt Coordinator
have you looked into the Mirage OM9 or 7.They are omnipolar.They are great looking and in my opinion they sound fantastic.But omnipolar is not for everyone.It won't hurt to atleast audition them.You may be surprised.

Tom Luczywo

Auditioning
Another vote for PSB!! LOTS and LOTS of bang for the buck.

If you want more of a pristine look and finish, check out Monitor Audio........wow, what a great sounding AND looking speaker check them out. Definitley recommend them. On of my favorites! A little more expensive, BUT definitley on a different level.

One more to perk your ears up with........

Energy Veritas series.....very nice

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
I vote for the B&W cdms

you can get CDM7NT mains ($1700-$2000)

CDMCNT ($500-&600)

rears 303- I hear that these work great and are very very affordable

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
Klipsch---Impact,EFFICIANCY, Clarity, etc...

rf5 + rs3 + rc7 (or rc3)= cinema sound & concert "stack" sound

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Kelly,
For that kind of money you can get a complete Klipsch Refence series package(minus the sub, I have dual SVS:)). The horn loaded Klipsch speakers are very detailed and perfect for HT(they sound pretty good for music too:)). Most movie theaters use horn loaded speakers also. You said it was mostly for HT so Klipsch Reference would be a solid choice(IMO). You can probably get the whole setup well within your budget and have some $$ left to put towards that SVS :)
Good Luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks