auditioned paradigm reference 20's...........

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ColtonA, Oct 25, 2002.

1. ColtonA

ColtonA Stunt Coordinator

I auditioned them the other day side by side with mini monitors, man at first I didnt even know they were there, he accidently turned them on and I though it was the Mini's. MAN BIG MISTAKE, once I heard them the Mini's sounded like crap [​IMG] Not really but compared the the reference's. You could hear the pluck on the acoustics and the mid/tweet blend was very nice. Although it wasnt a lengthy audition I got a general idea of what there like, im going to go back with some personal music and watch bits and parts of some dvd's i have. Im canadian and its at a canadian store for $800, is this a good deal? Boy, what a beutiful sounding speaker....

2. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

If they are in wood veneer, $800 CND is a decent deal. I got mine up in Montreal about 10 months ago and paid $850 with the wood veneer. If they are the black laminate however, that's too much.

I agree, they rock. If you like your music with high detail and presence, they are a great speaker that's hard to beat for the price.

3. DavidY

DavidY Supporting Actor

I believe that CDN$800 is the Canadian MSRP for the Studio/20 with laminate finish. You should be able to get at least 15-20% or maybe 25% off MSRP.

Over the past few years, I have continued to be impressed with my Studio V.1 system (Studio/60 mains, Studio/20 rears and the matching centre CC-450).

Too bad that Paradigm doesn't allow online sale or mail orders of their speakers. So one has to stick with a local dealer or be willing to drive to another dealer (possibly in another town/city) to see if he/she is willing to give you a discount.

Also, there is a detailed review on the Studio/20 (V.1 I think) by Stereophile a few years ago. The reviewer there announced that the Studio/20 was the best or one of the best sounding speakers available for under US$1000. Check your local library. It's a good read IMO.

Dave