What's new

Audiotron vs. Tivo w/ Home Media Option (1 Viewer)

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I'm thinking about buying either an AudioTron or a Tivo with the Home Media Option. My initial goal is to stream MP3s across my wireless home network, so that I can play music on my home theater system. I use a Mac as my MP3 server, and both the AudioTron and the Tivo will work with it. With the Tivo I also get the ability to record TV and show the photos stored on my computer on my TV.

Has anyone compared the two of these? I'm still shopping, so I'm curious to hear what people have to say.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
The TV watching capabilities of the Tivo should not be underestimated. I would say > 95% of anyone who tried Tivo for a few weeks would not want to go back to watching TV the old way. But it seems like you actually have to try it to be convinced; too many people dismiss it as "just a fancy VCR" without actually trying it.

Anyway the Tivo would be worth getting even if HMO didn't exist. That you can get most of what an Audiotron does for an extra $100 (+ some money for network adapter) is just a bonus.

Jason Caudill

Stunt Coordinator
Have you figured out the real cost of adding the home media option to your tivo? You may be better off not adding it and buying both peices. I have both units and they do very well at their intended purposes. Not knowing anything about the HMO, I will go out on a limb by saying that it will not offer the flexibility of formats (mp3 quality level, etc.), fidelity (can the tivo output digitally? I dont think its analog outputs would be anything to write home about), nor features (the audiotron has an led display, tv doesnt need to be on).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks