Audiosource Amp Two for SVS CS

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Art_C, Dec 13, 2001.

1. Art_C

Art_C Stunt Coordinator

Does anybody have experience with Audiosource Amp Two? While waiting for a SVS CS B-stock to show up I have been looking around for a suitable amp to power it. I’m not crazy about the PE plate amps because the need to build a box and bypassing the bass boost. My searches turn up the Audiosource Amp Two. The spec says - 200 W bridged, 80 W per channel in 8 Ohm, Separate channel level controls 20 Hz – 20 kHz 110dB S/N ratio Line out/thru jacks Toroidal power supply – less than 0.04% THD Stable into 2 ohm loads Auto-On circuit A/B speaker switching Dual analog VU meters and peak limiter circuit Headphone jack CD direct inputs

Reviews at Audioreview state that it’s capable of driving a 4 Ohm speaker. I guess it would probably do about 300W into 4 Ohm. For around $250 shipped I thought it’s a pretty good deal. BTW, can someone explain to me how does a frequency response of 20 Hz – 20 kHz apply to an Amp? Does this mean it’s not capable of amplifying below 20 Hz? TIA.

Art

2. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

I don't think you'll want to run an amp bridged with a 4 Ohm load. That's just what I've heard. As to the power spec, it's just rated from 20 to 20k, that doesn't mean it won't drive the sub below 20Hz. Now, whether it can do that with authority depends on a mumber of things, such as the power supply size, capacitors, etc.

3. Art_C

Art_C Stunt Coordinator

Well I guess the logical question is then any other amp in the price range that's good for SVS? I would perfer something capable of 250W into 4 ohm.
    Of course I can win the great SVS give away and not worry about the silly amp... [​IMG]

4. Marcelo T

Marcelo T Stunt Coordinator

5. Trevor H

Trevor H Second Unit

Art,

I have been running my SVS for a year now with an Audiosource Amp One/A which has the same power rating as the Amp Two. I have had no problems running the 4 ohm SVS with the amp bridged, during most movies the amp runs warm but not hot, but when I listen to loud music for an extended period of time the amp does get quite hot, whether or not this is causing any harm to the amp I don't know, but for the price I got it for i'm not too worried.

Buy the way, I had the same question before I chose an amp for my SVS, I emailed Audiosource and they said driving a 4 ohm load would be OK, and like I said i've been using it for a year now (and I use my HT alot and listen loud) and i've had no problems or complaints.

Hope that helps

6. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Art,

If you run out of ideas you can still get a Samson from us for only $350 more. Given it's backed by us, has DEAD quiet fans and TONS of power I'd sooner to that route than a $250 Audio Source.

If money is really tight, look at used amps around the web. I got an old Soundcraftsmen amp with 300wpc for $150 a few years back. Looks like black brick, but VERY quiet, and no matter how much I abuse it (you think testing SVS's is EASY?? ;^) I have not been able to break it.

Powering two SVS's to their limits, with a $150 is not hard at all if you shop around.

Ron

7. Art_C

Art_C Stunt Coordinator

Actually money is really not a problem, I'm just looking for the best bang for the buck without DIY. I figure a CS w/ external 250W amp would be better than a PC and leave me with ability to upgrade later. But if the price is about the same and I have to jump through hoops to get it done then I would probably just get a PC B-stock when they come in. I would look around for the soundcraftsman amp thou, thanks.

8. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

9. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

We really don't need to sell any more Samsons, honest, they fly out the door with little fanfare from us. I just want folks to understand, there are fan cooled amps, and there are FAN cooled amps.

So a word about the QSC's. We actually evaluated that amp as a replacement for our long forgotten Fidek line (which had some pretty loud cooling fans). The verdict? We didn't think the fans on the Samson sample we got were even working. They were THAT quiet. All but silent from just inches away. We remain impressed with this even after selling them for a year now.

The QSC? It was loud. Not as bad as the Fidek, but close. In other words you might want to put it in some out of the way place if you get one. Fan noise doesn't bother some folks. But you've been warned.

Ron

10. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

Wow, some of you Audiosource owners sure do have balls. I own 2 of the Amp2s, and would never even consider bridging them to drive a subwoofer. I just don't have that much confidence in them to push em' that hard. I think their current is kinda meager.

11. Mike Kao

Mike Kao Second Unit

I'm selling the Samson S700 if you're interested (350 watts per channel @ 4 ohms):
    link

12. Eduardo Martinez

Art:

I have been using the Audio Source Amp Two (bridged) to drive my SVS 25-31CS for the last six months without a problem. The volume is about 3/4 and the sliding doors of my family room almost fall down during a bassy scene. Try Titan AE and you will know what I am talking about. Conclusion: the Audio Source Amp Two is a great amplifier to drive a SVS.

Eduardo

13. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

14. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

As others have mentioned used can bring home some power/and cheap!
    $150.00 at (Ebay & others), goes along way. Be paitent, alot of goodies come threw thier! ---- Amps, DC-Amps, and Pro Amps all pass threw in volumes....
    Pay attention to feedback and ask alot questions, you would be suprised what you might find thier.
    Just another opition to look at.
    Good luck in what ever way you may choose to go....
    Also my brother runs two of the Audio Sourse Amp Two's you mention, running one per sealed sub bridged 4-ohm sealed Shivas, no problems.. Pushed hard, (Bass heavy music for hours) med warm to very warm, never seen them HOT HOT to the touch.... His do have excellent ventilation, thier not in a cabnit,
    full access to open air. They have that classic look and are small in size, and the price was right. He's been happy with them for what it's worth. J&R on line, is where he bought them aprox year ago. Currantly not in use due to new home being finished.....
    Geoff

15. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Jack,

That may be true but given the situation here I hardly see that as relevant for Art. The CS will not need, nor benefit from, bridging in the least. A CS-Ultra maybe.

The fans may well be more robust because of that, but again, I think in this instance the quiet fans (or none, find a used Adcom for instance) will be far more helpful in a HT environment. Just my opinion, and I could be wrong.

Ron

16. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I don't purport to be an SVS expert (far from it at this stage), but what about the $99 KLH receiver from Best Buy that some on this site have talked about? I thought that was sufficient to drive a passive SVS subwoofer? Maybe one of these receivers isn't sufficient to drive two of them? I guess you could buy two receivers for $200.