AudioSource 80w 2 ch / 200w bridged?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by John S, Nov 24, 2003.

1. John S

John S Producer

These amps are dirt cheap, yet seem to get good reviews.

I have a friend that asked me to come over and listen to his dolby digital setup, and suggest improvements.

Older Dolby Digital Reciever
    2 monster 15" Woof old Optimus fronts, no sub.
    Some sort of matched 3 speaker JBL set, (S-center and s-26's fronts), he currently uses for his rears.

So I thought maybe 1 more pair of s26's if I can still find them. Then maybe still use these 15" woof monsters as subs, with a like $100 2 channel AudioSource bridged to 200watts driving them both with only the 15" drivers actually hooked up???

I tried to convince him to just start over actually.
    But of course, he just doesn't want to spend hardly any money on it. This gets him to a much better spot for only like $150 or so.

Thanks for your input as always

2. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

I own one of those amplifiers, they are a good value and would work fine for driving subs (heck, it would probably be more useful driving the mains instead). How do the big old speakers sound in comparison to the JBLs?

3. John S

John S Producer

They don't... lol I had to crank the fronts so far up to match the rears ans center, just to get it in the ball park, and to get any theater class bass out of them. I think the reciever is ok, especialy if I could get the lows out of the front amps.

I actually think the old Optimus monsters with the 15" woofs, would make killer subs, running bridged 200 watts.
    I actually picked up a pair of s26's used today locally for like $70 for the pair for him. I guess I'll order the amp, heck it could never be a bad deal to have an extra clean amp lay'n around if he doesn't go for it, I suppose.

I think the $170 improvement will knock his socks off, I hope so, it is rough when a good friend comes to you for help. Heck he seemed really amazed at what I achieved with what he had after tweek'n for an hour or so. I was not happy with it at all though, pans front to rear seemed horrible to me even after I tweeked, the big old mosnter fronts he is using, had to be the most in-efficient speakers I have ever encountered in my life, but once I tweeked they sure had great sounding bass, but I never did get their level anywhere near the rears and center, but the bass was sure kicking, even I had to admit that.

4. Mark Krawiec

Mark Krawiec Agent

I have a couple of audiosource 2 amps. One is bridged and powering a sealed tempest and the other is used in a speaker test setup. They're solid amps especially if you can get them relatively cheaply.

5. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

Sounds like a plan. And if he ever finds the need for stronger bass, those Audiosource amps could be used to drive a separate passive subwoofer. I am glad to hear you're helping someone out with only a little bit of money. It's not easy to transform an audio system for $200.

6. John S

John S Producer

I did just place the order. $120 including shipping.

It will be a fairly unique setup to say the least when I am done. He will have a dual 15" driver sub running from the amp in bridged mode, I'll bet it kicks real well.

Thanks for the input on the amp.

7. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    John, put the amp somewhere that it will get plenty of air. Audiosource amps, that one in particular, tend to run a bit warm. Their heatsinks are not as big or maybe as effective as some other amps.

8. JohnSer

JohnSer Stunt Coordinator

John, I have heard good things about those little amps, as well. I have resisted the urge to have one of these around, so far. Where did you order from? I think buy.com had some refurbs, but haven't seen new at that price.

I initially thought there might be an issue driving the two 15" optomus drivers, given they were 8 ohm drivers. Some amps don't behave well in bridge mode and lower impedance (4 ohm given ||), but since Mark K, is running bridged on a Tempest, it probably OK. If the 15" drivers are 4 ohm, you might be forced to series connection, or just run in normal mode, one per channel.

JohnS

9. John S

John S Producer

Great information!! Thank you all very much.....

The 15" Drivers seem to be 8ohm......

The amp was a refurb by the way. I seem to have the best luck with refurb stuff myself.

10. JohnSer

JohnSer Stunt Coordinator

John, I have nothing against refurb, I buy it myself. I checked buy.com, they had it refurb for $120, but sold out.

JohnS

11. John S

John S Producer

I ordered from Twister...

I did not check them out all that much, the process was rather impulsive on my part. If I get burned by this one, I probably deserve it.

12. MattD

MattD Stunt Coordinator

These are great amps for the price

13. Andy_A

Andy_A Second Unit

Hey, so I have been researching the audiosource amp one/A and found this thread. I am strongly considering purchasing two and running them bridged mono for my mains. Here is my question: Does anyone know if I could run FOUR of the amps for my mains, somehow running two amps for L and two for R channels? I need the power. I thought it might work due to the fact that the amps have inputs and outputs. I used to have Marantz ma-500 monoblocks and they had an output which allowed me to string together four monoblocks for each front channel. The thing is, that was an "inverted" output. The audiosource amp does not say "inverted". Does this matter? I could really use some help. Thanks