Audioquest cables?

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Vincent_S, Aug 27, 2003.

1. Vincent_S

Vincent_S Second Unit

I was curious to know what peoples experiences are with this brand. I was thinking about buying some component video cable from them. YIQ-2 is the model. How do they hold up? Any quality issues. How do they compare with what you replaced them with?

2. Matt_Doug

Matt_Doug Stunt Coordinator

2 years ago I purchased audioquest sidewinder analog, vsd1 digital (now discontinued) and Type 4 speaker wire cables from my dealer who discounted heavily because I bought my entire HT from him. I'm not sure I would've bought these overpriced (IMHO) cables if they wern't discounted. I did swap out some low end monster cable I had and the audioquest sound had more weight and ambience to it but it wasn't a dbt so I can't back up that observation. They're solid core so a little stiff and once bent the kinks don't come out so be careful. The vsd1 has a very, very strong grip and though I bought it over 2 years ago its still hell to remove. Maybe the RCA barrel could have a better ergonomics. fortunately I haven't had much cause to remove it. After 2 years generally I have no complaints.

3. Vincent_S

Vincent_S Second Unit

Thanks for your reply! Does anyone know what the difference is between these and Silver Serpent Bettercables?

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Does audioquest even publish specifications? Ever thought about contact lubricant Matt?

5. Matt_Doug

Matt_Doug Stunt Coordinator

I've been using the same audioquest cables I first got when I purchased my system so I can't offer any comparisons to other manufacturers or even other audioquest models. I bought into Chu's belief that barring negligence there isn't much difference between cables. Audioquest has proven reliable and sonically satisfying is all I can say.

6. Cliff Olson

Cliff Olson Stunt Coordinator

I have the AudioQuest YIQ-4 Component Cable, and I am thoroughly happy with it [​IMG]

It is the first time I've used a component cable, so I can't compare with any others, but I'm sure it's as good as any others, and is guaranteed for life. Most here will say they are a waste of money, but look at the resale value. It's all relative.

I also have 3 pairs of AQ Corals, and they are wonderful as well. Not quite as good as a solid silver pair I have, but they both cost about the same amount anyway. Mid to upper treble is a little "pinched" with the AQs (same with the soundstage), in comparison with the solid silver (I've done a lot of blind testing with these IQs).