What's new

Audiophyte Shopping List: Stereo Receiver. (1 Viewer)

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
So far the HTF has shown me the light and thanks to forum recommendations I've upgraded from a JVC table-top boom-box to a 5.1 system employing Paradigm Atoms, a Pioneer VSX D511 receiver, and a SVS PCi subwoofer. Needless to say the new system beats the old system hands down :D

Anyway;

Since I've got my new system I've learned that stereo music can sound much better than in my car. I've now run into the problem that my GF, who now lives with me, has taken over the HT system to watch reality shows every weeknight. :frowning: I have a spare room, that I will turn into a dedicated FP-HT someday, but for now will be turned into my music room. And I need some suggestions on what to stock it with!

Receiver: I need a good 2-channel receiver. Some day I'll upgrade to 6.1 SACD/DVD-A, but for now CD's still sound great and 100% of what I want to listen to is on CD. This will be my first stereo receiver, will be paired with a SVS subwoofer (naturally) and a pair of 2-way bookshelf loudspeakers (brand/model TBA).

So I'll have about $1000 in speakers, including sub, what price range should I look at as to not have an unbalanced system? And what are some good models in that price range?

PS: Do stereo receivers have "sub-out" pre-amp outputs for subwoofers like a 5.1 receivers "LFE out"? If not, whats the recommended way to include a sub?

Thanks in advance, Garrett
:)

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

You might want to look into some of the stereo receiver offerings from Onkyo, Denon and Harman Kardon. I can't speak for two of the manufacturers, but I know Denon makes a stereo receiver with a pre-out to connect a sub to.

Scanning the specs on these receivers should be able to give you more details on the power and capabilities.

Best of luck. Keep us updated. :)

eryn shannon

Stunt Coordinator
You could even try an integrated amp for even better sound quality if you listen to 100% CD's and don't need a tuner, and if you ever want a tuner in the future you could always add one. If your spending $1000 on the speakers you should spend about the same on an amp($500-1000) and cd player($500-1000) the biggest mistake people usually make in a stereo system is get good speakers and a good amp and then get a cheap cd player, good DAC's are verry important.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Onkyo's stereo receivers don't have subwoofer outputs, but its upcale Integra line has a stereo receiver with sub out.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I agree completely with Eryn. A good, small 2ch system needs to be ballanced in this price range. Get a decent amp with a good CD and good speakers.

If you are looking for bang for the buck AND sound quality, you are going to want to listen to NAD and Rotel integrateds.

I am using a Marantz PM7000 integrated that I picked up for $350 with my old CA70ES CD, Mordaunt Short 902s and I am quite happy with this little system.

I'd seriously look used on Audiogon. I've picked up a number of good pieces at very good prices.

You can still hook up a sub to integrateds via speaker level outputs.

Bill Blank

Stunt Coordinator
I'll cast another vote in the direction of an integrated amp for a 2-ch system rather than a receiver. I don't know of ANY stereo receiver made today that could compete with an integrated amp of the same value in terms of sound quality.

As mentione, NAD and Rotel are among some of the best bng-for-your-buck integrateds. I'll add Arcam, Cambridge Audio, Creek, and Musical Fidelity to that list.

I'm also a supporter of used gear. If you search carefully and with common sense, great deals can be had in this category on eBay and AudioGon.

I've had an NAD C340 Integrated paired with a Cambridge Audio D-300 CD Player and a pair of B&W DM601s2 speakers in a second 2-ch system for years and enjoy it very much.

Bill

Aaron Howell

Stunt Coordinator
I've just purchased a 2 channel setup. I did a lot of research into 2 channel receivers from denon, integra, marantz, and harman. For pretty much the same price, $500, I picked up a NAD c370 integrated that was a significant upgrade. Comparing the NAD to the denon side-by-side made me pick the NAD.

I picked up a c370 integrated amp and c541i cd player from saturdayaudio.com(deals page) for $800+shipping.

Mark Russ

Second Unit
Congrats aaron, and smart move! Good old 2 channel will never go away. Besides, who's to say that SACD and/or DVD audio might not yet go the way of DAT, DCC, mini sisk, etc.?

Considering that FM is at best a mid-fi medium, I don't see why manufactureres even include it on most home therater receivers anymore anyway. How many people here actually use it much, if at all?

If the nasty tuner section is seperated from the power amp section (like in integrated amps and tuner/preamps), it is almost as good as having true seperates.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the advice. I agree with many of you that the AM/FM tuner is really quite useless ,When was the last time broadcast radio was worth listening to, 1972?:thumbsdown:

I'm therefore going to refine my search to integrated amps. There is a local NAD dealer, but other than that I'm going to have to browse Ebay or travel several hours to find sumthin.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Also consider integrated stereo amps from Cambridge Audio at Audio Advisor. Huge bang-for-the-buck. I was able to pick up a brand new A500 (65 watts/channel and remote) for $250.00 shipped several months ago; I believe the A500 was highly-rated by Sam Tellig (maybe he mistaken it for a Musical Fidelity integrated amp :D ). The new line is high-rated as well.

Aaron Howell

Stunt Coordinator
Thx Mark, I'll always love stereo. The sweet spot is right in front of the table saw so I can listen while working on my other projects....or maybe I should say so I have something to do while listening. :) My fiance doesn't understand how I can do so much down there, she thinks I'm just highly driven! ;)

I actually do like listening to radio a bit also. I picked up an denon tuner that was about 5-7 years old for $20 + shipping on ebay. I decided I might as well get $20 terk antenna to try on top of it. It's is by the far the best radio reception I have ever had for $40. I can't believe it was so inexpensive!!

Garrett,
FYI, I found that the NAD gear on saturdayaudio.com's deals page is so low that ebay wasn't worth while. I saw identical used units selling for more than saturdayaudio's NIB price with full warranty. They truly are an amazing deal right now.

I myself have been resisting temptation to buy the c270 to match my c370.

Bill Blank

Stunt Coordinator
The Brits know how to make good integrated amps. Pick up a copy of What HiFi? or HiFi Choice, they list their ratings in the back of each issue.

Bill

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor

Why not just buy another TV for her to watch this rubbish in the spare room?

Or is this really just an excuse to start your next system? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks