What's new

Audiophyte Shopping List: Bookshelf Speakers (1 Viewer)

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
So far the HTF has shown me the light and thanks to forum recommendations I've upgraded from a JVC table-top boom-box to a 5.1 system employing Paradigm Atoms, a Pioneer VSX D511 receiver, and a SVS PCi subwoofer. Needless to say the new system beats the old system hands down :D

Anyway;

Since I've got my new system I've learned that stereo music can sound much better than in my car. I've now run into the problem that my GF, who now lives with me, has taken over the HT system to watch reality shows every weeknight. :frowning: I have a spare room, that I will turn into a dedicated FP-HT someday, but for now will be turned into my music room. And I need some suggestions on what to stock it with!

I'm going to build a 2-channel stereo system based on CD music. I may get into the multi-channel high-rez formats (SACD/DVDA) in the future, but for now 100% of what i want to listen to in on CD and CD sounds good enough to me! (remember this is the first time in my life I've gone beyond table-top mini-systems!).

So I'm completely happy with my SVS. I've never heard of a tower that can match it in output, and don't want to think about paying for said towers anyway. The rooms fairly small so probably a PCi model will do just fine again :)

Since I've got a sub picked-out, I need a few suggestions on bookshelf speakers! I like my Paradigm Atoms now, but upgraditis has set-in and am looking for something better (And I can keep the atoms in my HT anyway).

Any good suggestions for $600 or so? I'm happy with black vinyl speaker coverings, so no need to spend extra on impressive wood finishes or anything.

Thanks in advance, Garrett :)

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
A plug for my speakers. A pair of Boston Acoustic VR-M50s, paired with your sub, will sound great, IMO. Others to consider in your price range:

B&W 600s/601s
Paradigm Monitor 5s
Energy C-3s

(these were among my finalists when I was shopping)

There are many other fine speakers at that price point. The key is to pick some music and AUDITION. Let your ears decide.

Good luck and have fun.

Rudi B

Stunt Coordinator
GR Research AV1 or AV2. Awesome price/performance ratio and smooth playback in a tandem with a SVS PB2+...

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member

Well of course I'm going to audition. The problem is that Carthage in near the ass-end of America (ie. I'm closer to Canada than an American city large enough to have an airport). So in order to audition any number of speakers I have to drive to larger cities:

Utica: 90 min

Syracuse: 2 hours

Rochester: 3.5 hours

Buffalo: 4.5hours

New York City: 6+ hours.

Then you factor in the return trip and you have a whole weekend used up.
:frowning: Therefor I am just looking for speaker suggestions so that I can narrow-down my choies when I do go far away to audition speakers.

Keep up the suggestions!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'll second GR Research. You probably can't get A/V-2s for $600, but you could get close to A/V-1s without the upgrades in black, though for the price, the upgrades are definitely worth it (black hole and sonicaps).

There were a pair of Paradox 1s on Audiogon for $550. Slightly better than A/V-1s with upgrades.

Look around for a dealer that carries Mordaunt Short and listen to the 902 or 912. Excellent little bookshelf. I'm using 902s in my bedroom 2ch setup, and I am very impressed with them.

I had Monitor 5s and they don't even come close to my A/V-2s, nor do the C3s. VR-M50s are not bad at all.

I would also recommend NHT SB-2 and SB-3.

Since you are closer to Canada, I would consider Paradigm Studio 20s in Canada. You may be able to get them in your price range, though I don't find they have the midrange clarity of the GR Research speakers.

Yousaf

Second Unit
I'll go ahead and third the vote on GR-Research A/V-1s. They're some nice speakers...

Robert V

Stunt Coordinator
Garrett,

forget about Utica, NY. There are no unique audio dealers there, just the typica lBetst Buy and Circuit City. Signature Sound is located near Syracuse, NY as well as Clark Music and a few others. Just across the border is the Audioshop (www.audioshop.on.ca), they have some great deals on b-stock Dahlquist, and also sell Energy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks