Audiophile Midiman WITH internal sound card?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Terry Wysocki, Mar 11, 2002.

1. Terry Wysocki

Terry Wysocki Stunt Coordinator

I installed an Audiophile 2496 on my new HTPC but I'm not sure what I should be hooking up to what. Should I enable the internal motherboard sound system? How does my DVD player's sound get to my receiver if I don't have a digital audio cable hooked to my soundcard (the 2496 doesn't even have a connection on it for this)? Any clarification here is greatly appreciated.

2. Seungsoo Hwang

Seungsoo Hwang Stunt Coordinator

i believe the 24/96 does have coax digital out. You connect this to the digital-in of your receiver.. If I understand you correctly, you defintely do not want to use your motherboard's sound since you have the audiophile 2496. Inside your comp, from the DVD player to the soundcard should be a digital connection, if not then you need to get a corresponding cable in order to do so (maybe someone else can help.. i can only visualize it, i dont know how to explain it better or the terminology involved..)..

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

1) If the internal sound you've mentioned is "on board" on the mobo- go into bios and disable it (should be under integrated peripherals).

2) The 2496 card DOES have digital output- you have to connect the little breakout cable that came with the card-- it connects to a serial-looking jack on the card, and has 2 midi jacks and two rca jacks: digitl input/digital output.

-Vince

4. Terry Wysocki

Terry Wysocki Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the help, but I'm confused as to how the DVD audio gets to the receiver. Am I not supposed to use the digital audio out jack on the DVD drive? Does the sound go thru the IDE cable to the sound card to the receiver via an RCA audio cable connecting the digital jacks?

5. Cliff Watson

Cliff Watson Agent

”Does the sound go thru the IDE cable to the sound card to the receiver via an RCA audio cable connecting the digital jacks?”
    Terry,
    That is exactly how the AP2496 works. It is not necessary to connect any other cables to the DVD drive.

6. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Exactly!

The audio and video go via the IDE connection.

-Vince

7. JohanK

JohanK Second Unit

I believe that, if you want to use your HTPC as a music CD transport, you would still want to hook up the digital audio cable to your soundcard. I'm under the impression that music CD 'data' is sent out through either the analog or digital cable, depending on which you connect.

8. Cliff Watson

Cliff Watson Agent

Johan,

For the absolutely best audio quality the CD music should be extracted over the IDE buss in the same manner as DVD A/V. Almost all modern CD player use Digital Audio Extraction (DAE) to move the Redbook CD audio over the PCI buss to a soundcard for S/PDIF encoding or Digital to Analog Conversion. DAE also adds an extra layer of buffering to negate any jitter produced by the DVD/CD-ROM drive.

DAE is the same method used to rip CDs to a hard drive or burn (copy) CDs.

9. JohanK

JohanK Second Unit

Thanx Cliff.