Audioholics review - are these WHITE VAN SCAM speakers:

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Kenneth Harden, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

2. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

Those look a lot like some theater research speakers on e-bay.

You can get them here too.
    http://www.sonicsense.com/tr1610.htm

I cant beleive audioholics wrote a review on white van crap. I mean elasctic rubber band grill! Come on.

3. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

4. BillyHC

BillyHC Agent

late april-fools joke, perhaps?

the 'digital' part comes from the digital crossovers, I believe.

5. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

How is a cross over digital? Isnt it getting an analog signal?

6. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

While they may be of white van type origins, the audioholics review says Canyon "works with some domestic designers to have custom modifications made to products which are then manufactured overseas to keep costs down." This makes me think that maybe these are made by the same company that makes similar white van speakers using the same drivers/cabinets but may have custom crossovers designed by Canyon. A similar practice is used by The Audio Insider for the US versions of Swans speakers, albeit using a bit higher end starting point. For around $500 for towers, center, and bookshelf surrounds if they sound as good as similar retail offerings in the price range AND look as great as they do, they should be taken seriously for what they are. They're a bit more expensive than something like Fluance, but Fluance also has their white-van roots (manufactured by GoldSky) and have been widely accepted as great performers for their price point. They're realistic and reasonable specs also give them a bit more legitimatecy over white van scams. They also don't advertise unrealisticly high retail prices to con people in to thinking they're getting a deal too good to be true.

7. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

By crossing over to a side-firing woofer at 400 Hz, these speakers lose all credibility with me. A side-firing woofer should never be crossed over above 150 Hz unless you want some wonky phase and dispersion effects from low-midrange frequencies being beamed 90 degrees to the side! What's more, is that Canyon Audio is probably BSing us with any story about "american speaker designers" being involved, because a real speaker designer would know that crossing a side-firing woover at 400 Hz would be a tremendously destructive decision.