What's new

Audio/Video things that irritate you. (1 Viewer)

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Post things about the Audio/Video world that irritate you. I will start with I don't like how the word digital gets flaunted around. Why do people buy stuff because it has the word digital around it somewhere. Is it just a hot word or do people just associate digital with quality? It is insane.

Seth=L

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
Those damned little animations most channels INSIST on putting in the bottom half of the screen as ads for upcoming shows. As if the endless commercials about some of them WEREN'T enough! :angry:

Three Moons Over Milford is the worst offender at the moment. There is nothing like trying to watch something, only to have a goddamned EXPLOSION!! in the corner, completely distracting from the show that is currently airing! Full sound effects, from the meteor that hits the moon, the detonation, and full flash effect of the strike.

TBS loves animating its logo in the lower right hand corner, never mind that it covers up almost a quarter of the screen, going up and down like a really stupid imitation of an ekg.

ENOUGH!! We get it, networks, you have OTHER shows on that might interest us. Please don't fuck up the enjoyment of the one we are watching to pitch others!

I wonder if Three Moons Over Milford will have such annoying animations during its broadcasts?

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
I totally agree on the digital usage. Very mis-understood and they still use it.
I also can't stand when they say, "I have surround sound". Or they ask, "Do you have "surround sound" "?
Or they call HT, "surround sound".

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
how people associate Bose with top quality.

how people think Plasmas are the best quality display technology jsut because it has a cool name and you can hang it on a wall. Or how they think their display is better just because it's bigger.

Pretty much J6P in general :P

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Yea those guys who have the surround sound hobby kit from some random name, Akai for instance, don't have home theater. They have extra sound. That is what they should call all-in-one surround kits, Extra Sound Systems. I am going to patent that.

Also what is with those guys that advertise for the speaker company that starts with the letter "B" on these forums by asking if we think they are good?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
They are ridiculous, especially with sound. If I am watching network television, which I rarely do, I don't want something in the corner of the screen blocking my view accompanied by so much noise I can't hear the dialog of the show. Who ever thought that was a good idea must have had a similar intelligence of a politician.

Seth=L

mylan

Screenwriter
I hate the incompatibilities between components and standards that are never fully implemented, such as HDMI ver 1.1, 1.2, and who knows when 1.3.
I hate frustrating manuals that are hard to follow.
I hate when I buy something it is obsolete the next day or soon thereafter.
I'll throw in station bugs as well.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
When CD's first came out, they used to (they probably still do) plaster the word "Digital" all over headphones. Is there such a thing as digital headphones??? Isn't that like saying "Digital Speakers"? :confused:

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
I absolutely loathe those "digital Headphones that come with the GPX or Lennox sound portable cd players, so cheasy (some whould say "It ain't easy bein' cheasy")

And the HDMI thing is very obnoxious. I want 1.3 now! Not Next Year! The front end is here but the back end drags slowly behind because not enough consumer fead it hypothically. If the demand for it was higher, i.e. people knew there was something better, it would be here already. Darn HD-DVD and Blu-Ray for the format war.

Seth=L

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I loathe the anti science, anti reason, out and out mysticism of High End Audio. I remember reading an issue of the Absolute Sound years ago where Harry Pearson listed the astrological signs of the writing staff, as if that had SHIT to do with anything. :angry: :thumbsdown: :angry:

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
I hate the yamaha receiver's user interface. And I hate white van speaker scams.

DougR

Second Unit

I hate it when someone ask...

" I'm planning on buying a 42" Plasma, what is a good Brand to look at"? Then you'll get those yahoos that chime in....42" ?....no, you should get at least a 62", Bigger is Better !!

They have No clue as to what size room he has,nor if he has Perfect vision? :)

But still it's "Get biggest you can fit in the room" !

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My favorite is still the incerconnects which were supposed to provide improved performance by bathing the cables themselves in a sheath of light.

I'll toss in a positive here. I have (or had) three S-VHS VCRs from the late 80s and early 90s, which were all top of the line and ran in the area of $1K each. They have all died now and I found I needed something to play the pile of S-VHS tapes of stuff that isn't available to me any other way. So, this week I ordered the cheapest, reconditioned S-VHS VCR I could find. Yesterday, my shiny, not so new JVC HR-S2902U arrived in its institutional box with photocopied manual and 30 warranty and I just hoped it would at least function. Well, it may be a cheap piece of plastic, disposable hardware, but, damn, it works nice. I was amazed by the logic of the controls. It even starts off RW/FF slowly, speeds up and senses when it is approaching the end of the tape to slow back down again. Two of my 3 1K units didn't even do that. The picture is better than the units it replaces. The tape handling is very gentle. I'm stunned. All this for $68 delivered. sheesh.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Anytime someone pulls that with me, I always give it back to them in terms they can understand:

That's like asking me for a shirt to wear and I hand you a baby shirt.
It's a shirt, right?

That's like asking me for an apple and I hand you a ceramic apple.
It's an apple!

That's like asking me to help you move and I push you down the stairs.
You moved, and I helped.

:D

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
I hate the limp red-screen "warning" forced upon me by, e-hem, "INTERPOL," at the start of some DVDs. You know the one. It sort of flops over the line with this end paragraph:

"The international Criminal Police Organization - INTERPOL, has expressed its concern about motion picture and sound recording piracy to all of it member national police forces. (Resolution adopted at INTERPOL General Assembly, Stockholm, Sweden, September 8, 1977.)"

Wow. They have expressed their concern. Thirty years ago, they expressed their concern. (Are they still concerned?) Yeah, me too. I'm concerned. Real concerned. "We'd just like to express our concern." Thanks, INTERPOL. We know you're concerned.

Talk about "toothless."

Then it gives it to me in French or something. Who knows, because it flashes uselessly by without even giving me a chance to read it. So, what's the point?

MC

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
I hate that people think MP3's and similar compressed audio files, not to be confused with audiophiles, sound good. I absolutely hate the way they sound with their tingy highs and lack of bass information. I know we should just start making codecs to burn DVD's to CD, or maybe stores could sell Video CD's alongside their DVD counter parts, because compression is awesome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks