What's new

audio/video routing question (1 Viewer)

tonyKwok

Stunt Coordinator
I was wondering if it's okay to have my DVD player output the component video along w/ analog audio to my TV directly and in addition, have the DVD player output its audio via Digital Coax to my Denon 1905. The reason for this setup is when I want to watch DVDs that are not dolby digital encoded (mostly TV episode compilations on DVD), I just want the audio output from my TV w/o having to use my receiver to process the audio. Whereas, when i'm watching a movie DVD (DD 5.1 or DTS), I want to utilize my receiver to decode those audio. At the same time, I would disable my TV speakers via its OSD menu and have all the audio redirected to my home theater speakers.

thanks
tony

John S

Senior HTF Member
Most DVD players will output both L/R Analog and the digital connections at the same time. Some won't though for sure.

tonyKwok

Stunt Coordinator
But I would never output both of them at the same time. It would be always either one or the other

John S

Senior HTF Member
What I am saying is that it should work. Should output at the same time, so it should be easy without any worries.

Switching this in any given DVD player system menu can be tedeous and a little frustrating is all. Should be fine.

tonyKwok

Stunt Coordinator
actually, now that you've mentioned it. I do remember seeing the audio output section of my DVD system menu asking me to choose either L/R analog or digital. I can't have both enabled. Oh well, i guess that answered my question.

thanks again
tony

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Are you sure that wasn’t something about a 2.1 down mix?

I’d give it a try, Tony – only takes a couple of minutes and a set of cables to check. My player outputs both DD and analog simultaneously. They are totally separate signal paths; there’s no good reason for a player to do one or the other.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

tonyKwok

Stunt Coordinator
cool wayne. Let me know how it works out for you. By the way, the DVD player i'm using is the Philips 642. I don't know if anyone here has had any experience with this player.

Tony Loewen

Stunt Coordinator
642 is the divx player? I bought this for my parents. It should output both at the same time. As Wayne said, easiest way is to give it a try.

tonyKwok

Stunt Coordinator
wayne,

my bad. I was reading your reply too quickly and misunderstood. Anyway, unfortunately, the philips 642 can only output either analog or digital, not both at the same time. Thanks for your help

tony

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks