Audio/Video Quality

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Louisp, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Louisp

Louisp Stunt Coordinator

Louis Patrick
    In your opinion is a recording from a high quality VCR superior to, or as good as, that from the current crop of "discount" DVD recorders, i.e. ilo, Emerson, etc.?

2. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

Well I would assume you mean regular or S-VHS, not the D-VHS machines, right? In my opinion, my Gateway DVDR (basically a Liteon 5001) is superior to my JVC S-VHS machine when recording in 2 hr SP mode. In 4 Hour mode, the Gateway is still a little better than the S-VHS machine. In 6 hr mode, I would call it about even. The best thing is that the Gateway is hooked up via component to my TV so the picture quality is better and much smoother. However, in SLP mode there is definate artifacting when recording regular TV channels with the Gateway, the S-VHS doesn't suffer from this although the picture quality is a bit grainy. When recording from another device, like my portable DVD player, the artifacting is far less noticeable and is superior to the S-VHS.

3. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

Assuming you mean VHS and not S-VHS, the DVD player will be noticably better. An S-VHS player might be as good as a cheap DVD player in interlaced mode. But the DVD player will still probably be better when set to progressive output. And the S-VHS player would be more expensive than a cheap DVD player with progressive output.

4. JeffLambas

JeffLambas Extra

I would have to go with DVD player here