What's new

Audio/Video Calibration DVD? (1 Viewer)

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
The most popular are Avia and Digital Video Essentials. Avia is supposed to be easier to use and navigate, but it's more expensive. I use the Sound and Vision Home Theater Tune up disc. It's made by the same company that makes Avia(Ovation Software) and it's worked great for me. It's also much cheaper than Avia.

Steve.G

Agent
I use Avia. LOL don't get one tho bro! you will drive yourself crazy trying to obtain the elusive "perfect" picture. You will wake up in the middle of the night and start messing with it.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Stan.

The calibration disks are good to do a rough calibration. If you have a NEW TV, you do want about a month of use before you do a more serious adjustment.

There are ISF Calibrationists that will come to your house and spend 2-4 hours doing a professional job. Calibration is ... tricky. Adjust one thing, and you can throw 3 other things off. The pros have some equipment, test patterns and access to the internal service settings.

But the calibration disks and the user-settings are a great place to do the basic adjustments. The disks usually include a tutorial to tell you how to do things.

Just make sure to calibrate at the same time of day you would normally watch Television. Calibrate on a sunny Saturday afternoon may not produce the best results for your 8pm viewing. Also make sure that your TV is on for 30 minutes to be warmed up before you calibrate.

Hope this helps.

Philm35

Auditioning
Real Name
Phil
Monster Cable recently released a calibration DVD called the "Monster/ISF HDTV Calibration Wizard DVD". It is aimed at Home Theater newbies with no technical knowledge.

It only covers calibration for brightness, contrast, color saturation and sharpness, and has a screen that helps you make sure you've got your aspect ratio controls set correctly on your DVD player and display.

This disk is clearly aimed at HT owners with no technical understanding of their equipment. It is hosted by a female pop-star wannabe, and features a lame music video from her at the end of the program... filler?

Extremely non-technical folks may find this disk useful, but for anybody more serious about calibration, there is not much here for your $29.95 plus shipping.

--Phil

Stan Welks

Stunt Coordinator
I found both of these videos on Amazon, however they are dated from several years ago. I would imagine that alot has changed since these were produced. Are these still relevant to current flat panel displays and audio systems?

Digital Video Essentials: Optimize Your Home Entertainment System (NTSC Component) (2001)

The AVIA Guide to Home Theater (1999)

Thanks!

JeffLab

Stunt Coordinator
I use the Digital Video Essentials DVD, and find it quite helpful. Lots of information on the disc, and there is a good tutorial for beginners and amateurs alike.

Steve G. is correct, however. Since I've bought the disc, I've become quite obsessed in persuing the perfect image on my tv.

Philm35

Auditioning
Real Name
Phil
I just discovered that HDNet broadcasts some simple test signals every Tuesday morning at 6:50 AM. If you are an HDNet subscriber, this is a good free source of consumer 1080i test signals.

--Phil

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

The relevant consumer video standards were established quite long ago, and have remained stable thankfully.

Both are totally fine and applicable today. Standard test patterns are test patterns, basically.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks