audio sync problem with digital cable?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Tom_Price, Sep 10, 2004.

1. Tom_Price

Tom_Price Stunt Coordinator

Hello,

I am using Charter Digital Cable here in Saint Louis, and I recently upgraded to their "s-video" box by Motorola. This particular unit adds both coax and toslink digital outputs.

My problem is that whenever I use either of these connections to my Yamaha RX-Z1 receiver, it displays Dolby 2/3/.1, but the audio is ahead of the video image by about 10 seconds. This holds true on any of the channels I try, even regular channels which are broadcast in 2 channel. As soon as I change back to the analog input, the audio and video match up fine.

I've tinkered with all of the settings in the menu. Any ideas as to what's wrong?

2. Kamlesh

Kamlesh Auditioning

Happens with my ONKYO receiver too. I have a Toslink going from my Pioneer DVD player. The sounds comes ahead of the the image, but not as much as 10 seconds. Mine is between 1 and 2 seconds.

3. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I had a similiar problem and corrected it by running the video through the same signal path as the audio so for your case run the video into the Yammie.
    If you already do that....I don't have a clue then.

4. Andy_Hamric

Andy_Hamric Stunt Coordinator

What do you all make of this? I have the box for digital cable from WideOpenWest in the Detroit area. I get analog cable on it plus the digital OTA broadcaster feeds.

Audio sync on the digital (HD) channels ranges from almost perfect (PBS) to off by 1-2 seconds (NBC). Analog cable stations are spot on.

Why the discrepancy between audio sync on the major networks' digital feeds?