Audio surround sound question

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by mikeHende, Apr 20, 2005.

1. mikeHende

mikeHende Agent

From the reading I've done, if I undertsand it correctly, you need the "source" of the audio to be surround sound compatible in order to get surround sound is this correct? If so, my question is, if you're using your surround equipment only for "audio" purposes, say only to play cd's or pc music, then the surround setup will NOT be useful for this, am I correct? Meaning, having a 5, 6 or 7 speaker system will not be useful or make a difference form using 2 regular stereo speakers, correct?

2. Matt^Brown

Matt^Brown Supporting Actor

This is correct Mike. I have a surround sound system but I only use my front two towers and my sub when listening to the radio or CDs.

3. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

There are DSP modes on A/V receivers that will simulate surround from 2-channel sources, with the results ranging from poor to decent. However, most 2-channel audio purists would not touch these with a ten foot pole.

There are also a few audio only surround formats - e.g. DVD-A, SACD - that give genuine surround sound for audio. They requie a DVD player that can decode them and usually require 5.1 analog interconnects between the DVD player and receiver. Search for "DVD-A" to learn more.

4. David Noll

David Noll Stunt Coordinator

I listen to SACD's in my theater and they usually are in 5.1 surround. Awesome indeed! More and more titles are becoming available, especially in the DVD-A format. Follow Jeff's advice--learn more!

Check-out my listening environment with link below.

David

5. Dick Boneske

Dick Boneske Stunt Coordinator

Let your ears be your guide!! What is right for you will not satisfy other people on this board. You always have the option of using only two channels for CD's or radio sources. I have found I almost always prefer Dolby PrologicII for these sources over two-channel stereo.

The extreme surround modes like "neo 6.1 or 7.1 stereo" or the various "Sports" or "game" settings really create an artificial sound field that I can't imagine anyone liking.

Again, it's up to you--it's very easy to switch modes to see which you like best.

6. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

You can get great surround sound from 2 channel stereo recordings. The out-of-phase information in these recording, when applied with time delay, was the basis of Dolby Surround (and the Hafler Quad surround before that). Dolby Pro-Logic/Pro-Logic II/Pro-Logic IIx are just an extension of that concept.

7. PeterK

PeterK Supporting Actor

I always listen in stereo, using prologic or neo justs makes it sound hollow.(to me)
    PS. David Noll that is an awesome HT especiall the nice cabinets and stuff in the back and that projector enclosure looks real sharp. [​IMG] I hope mine can look that good someday.