Audio Source Graphic Equalizer/ Eq-200

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by steve nn, Sep 7, 2003.

1. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

I would like to start running a EQ with my system and I am wondering if this EQ at B-Buy would be sufficient? I have $200 in B-Buy certificates from work and thought it best to spend them on the EQ-200 if it will do the job? If it wont, I can sell the gift cards and go ahead and order another.

I also run multiple passive subs and I am
    wondering if I place the EQ between my receiver and QSC amp

2. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

For sub/s you really need a Parametric or a min an ART, DOD, etc, 31 band per channel EQ.
    The AS-eq will give very "little control" over the subs response. It's basicly just a fancy tone control, the AS that is. Little defined control over a subs frequency responce.

The EQ or Parametric would go in between the receivers (sub out into the eq) then eq into the amps pre-ins.
    Do you have a line driver feeding the amp in-between your receiver and amp in's?

The BFD is about the best buy around 90.00 to $110.00 with excellent control for subs. Very "accurate pin point" cut, gain, and width to control ones low-end problem frequencys.

Is the suck out at 46-47Hz the worst problem in your sub response. What other freqs peeks or suck outs do you have???

You can't boost a room suck out/dip, it just eats amp headroom and dose little or nothing to fix it. A sub placement change or pulling other freqs down is the only way to deal with that.

Wayne P. or Bruce should be along soon, these guys are very good at explainling things dealing with EQ-ing subs and doing so properly.

Cheers
    Geoff

3. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Hi Geoff and thanks for the help.

What I have going is the receiver sub-out going into the QSC and then the two subs running off of each channel of the QSC. I will need to jump two of them next week on Tuesday when my other arrives. Jumping should not be any concern to me then since the EQ will go on the other side of the QSC amp if I understand you correctly?

I guess the AS-200 is out then. I was hoping it would be sufficient but I had my doubts. I can only buy so many DVD's with those BB gift cards and was hoping the AS-200 would do? I guess I will head on over to the Hardware For Sale section and unload a few gift cards then?

Here are some corrected numbers I came up with that were taken with the speakers off>> 15Hz>83.5 16>81.5 17>88 18>94 19>91 20>90.5 21>94 22>94.5 23>96 24>97.5 25>97 26>100.7 27>102.3 28>101 29>101.7 30>101.4 31>102 32>101 33>101 34>101 35>100 36>97.5 37>96.5 38>95.5 39>93.5 40>94.5 41>93.5 42>91 43>88 (Alert!) 44Hz>84 45>79 46>71 47>72 48>83 49>87.5 50>90.5 51>92.5 52>94.5 53>96.5 54>97.5 55>98.5 56>99.5 57>100.5 58>102.5 59>103.5 60>104.5 61>104.5 62>104.5 63>105.5 and from here it wavers a 1db plus or minus... Two 25-31CS+'s with one port blocked on each.

I can play with placement to a certain degree and I suppose I could put my new sub in another available location also. I have tried different placement options in the past and I seem to like the FR corner the best. I have never taken all the measurements off of each location or set-up though. I guess I definitely have some work to do. :b

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Geoff, since he has a QSC amp, I doubt Steve will have any shortage of headroom. [​IMG]

Steve, Geoff is right – the Audiosource EQ is basically a sophisticated tone control – it won’t do much of anything for subs – at least not with the surgical precision of a parametric EQ like the BFD. However, if you like to play with an EQ for music playback you could insert it between your CD player and receiver.

By the way, per-frequency readings are way overkill - you don’t have to go through that much trouble. 1/6-octave spacing is fine in most cases: 18, 20, 22, 25, 28, 31.5, 36, 40, 45, 50, 56, 63, 71, 80, 89, 100, 111Hz.

Also, if you’re serious about getting a parametric EQ, there’s no reason to experiment with placement. Just leave it in the front right corner – especially since you’ve already established that as a favorite spot. Experimental placement is an exercise for people who don’t have a sub EQ (or for some reason have a mental block against them).

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Steve

Are you using the SVS's sub croosover, or the receivers?

Appears that your using the receivers, whats the croosover selection you are using in the receiver?

Your response is not perfect, but is far from terriable & good enough that many would be happy with that! You should have seen my in room sub freq mess before correcting!

Run your tones as Wayne mentioned at 1/6-octave spacing and also as you discovered in a read, run your mains also when graphing next time.

I know buddy, I gave you correction figures for every freq so you made use of them all, my mistake..:b
    I should have made mention that you didn't need to run every single Hz tone, just the freqs Wayne mentioned generally. Maybe in the problem areas you could run them closer to get a better idea of exactly where your peek or dip is centered and how wide/far it is up or down each way.

A parametric is a wonderful thing for sub/s and worth every penny in the BFD's case. Can't remember for sure, ~{but I think it's Bruce and a few others}~ that have a page with a very comprehensive write up somewhere on how to set up and use the BFD correctly.
    If you were to get one, it can be a bit confusing when you first begin to try and use it.
    I sold mine (first model) a few months ago to a good friend and I now am using a different one. I really like the real billit aluminum rack handels and it dose the job ust fine.
    Also made a few bucks in the selling off the BFD even after purchasing it's new Ebay CHEAP replacment.

Gosh Steve, thats now 3-SVS's you'l be running, maybe you can get a good deal from Tom & Ron on the ART to tame your house monsters! [​IMG]

Cheers

6. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

My receiver does the cross at 110 and that is the only option I have running small. I plan on a up-grade in the receiver dept soon. My receiver is the Kenwood VR-507:b ..

Sorry for all the numbers Wayne and Geoff. I was trying to be thorough. I will be sure to reduce the info next time around with speakers on.

I just pulled the port blockers and recalibrated on account of my new addition showed up a day early. (Thanks Tom)[​IMG]

No I am totally happy with my Bass Geoff. You know that brother. I did find that dip alright but pared with my B&W"s I'm totaly pleased. I just thought I would try to put my Gift Cards to good use. It doesn't surprise me at all that the AS-200 wont do the trick. I had my doubts. I think I should concentrate on my receiver first and do the EQ after that then. I will post the new readings though with speakers on.

After calibrating my new configuration, I threw in SW II and went to the first (Fly By). Holly Moelly! 127-128db and they still could be pushed further on the dual side of the QSC. I know I could hit 130db+. Just incredible! They sound great all the way up to.

7. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

That's quite impressive. What are you using to measure?

8. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Hi Frank. I am using the RS dgtl meeter. I haven't had any such problems with the 507. That is one very weird experience though. Mine does have a Pepsi fountain on the back of it. Is this a standard option?? From what I read it is 20-20 rated on the front three speakers. It has served me well but I do know this needs to be addressed. Who needs the fountain anyway. Me and Geoff just had a good little tiff about this very subject (Rack) this last weekend. [​IMG]

9. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Here are the corrected readings with the speakers on and subs tuned to 25hz.

18hz> 70db
    20 > 69.5
    22 > 73.5
    25 > 78
    28 > 85
    31 > 84
    36 > 81.5
    40 > 76.5
    45 > 70
    50 > 61.5
    56 > 75.5
    63 > 84.5
    71 > 85.5
    80 > 78.5
    89 > 78.5
    99 > 82.5

10. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

I was asking because the upper limit of the RS meter is 126dB, I guess you were just adding a little because of it's innaccuracies.

I made your numbers a little easier to read. If possible, I'd try move the seating position or sub to another location, I know it's kind hard with three SVS' though.

Click for graph

11. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Thanks for the graph and time Frank. I also drew it out myself but definitely not as easy to look at as yours. Wish I could say I liked the plot though. Looks like I have one big dip for sure.[​IMG] I will try moving one of the subs to another location and see what I can come up with. WAF comes into play here also.

Yes I was adding 6-7db to the meters reading of 121db for correction on the Fly-By. I was in a Thread a day or so ago and was informed that I should not be adding 3.4 for a 30Hz scene like I thought but more like 6-7 db's for the Hz go much lower than 30. I just went and found MingL's plot of it and I plan on doing a more precise time measurement. I could find I am at 124.5??