Audio Source Amps One, Two and Three

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by WilliamJay, Sep 19, 2002.

1. WilliamJay

WilliamJay Stunt Coordinator

Wondering what people think of these amps. Would any of them be a significant step up over my 2802 when powering my Diva 4.1s up front?

Also, what about using the Amp One or Two bridged to power my SVS 20-39 CS instead of my old Onkyo receiver which puts out 50 watts at 8 ohms?

Thanks in advance.

Bill

2. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    These amps are surprisingly good for the price. One would expect much less from these amps at the price you can get them for. I believe almost any and every external amp will provide better/cleaner power than most normal AV receiver amps. As for the SVS thing, the audiosource amp will be a huge step up from a receiver in powering a sub. I suggest the biggest amp you can afford, and double check to make sure they can be bridged into a 4 ohm load. Audiosource also makes excellent monoblock amps that would be perfect for a sub.

3. John A. Casler

John A. Casler Second Unit

Jeff is correct. The monobloc 5.1,5.2, and 5.3 would both be cheaper and better for your sub. And it is far preferable to run a monobloc than "bridge".

They also have "autosensing" so they "turn on" just like a sub amp.

John

4. WilliamJay

Jeff and John,

I was thinking about the amp one vs. the monobloc becouse it has lower distortion .04 vs. .1 (I thought that was better). Also, the amp one would fit on my shelf where the receiver currently resides.

Why is bridging not a good idea vs. the monobloc?

Thanks,

Bill

5. John A. Casler

Hi Bill,

Many times "bridging" will almost, if not double distortion and reduces the stabilty of the amp.

If it says 2 ohm stable in stereo, it may not be when bridged. So if S/N and distortion look better in strereo, they are probably are degraded when bridged.

The AMP ONE/A and the 5.3 are the same list price but the 5.3 has 250wpc @4ohms and the AMP ONE has 200wpc @ 4ohms.

One thing about the monobloc: It does have a little fan that can be "noisy" if too close to the listening area.

John

6. WilliamJay

John,

I thought the Amp One bridged was 200 watts @ 8 ohms and approx. 360 watts @ 4 ohms. This was told to me by someone from Audio Source.

Also, even if you double the distortion to .08 for the Amp One isn't that better than the .1 from the 5.3. Plus, I am concerned about the noise from the fan in the monoblock.

Let me know what you think. By the way, o you own any of the Audio Source amps and, if so, which one(s)?

Thanks,

BIll

7. John A. Casler

Hi Bill,

It seems highly optimistic to me that an amps power would "more" than double when bridged, that is why I assumed the rating was at 4 ohms.

I have used the AMP ONE/A, 5.1, 5.2, and 5.3 and they are very nice little units and well priced.

John

8. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Hi,

I've heard good things about Audio Source, but ended up going a different direction as far as outboard amps are concerned. The reason I posted is to advise you to keep an eye open at Ubid.com. In the last couple of weeks, I was over there and noticed a couple of their amps still listed at $9 with only a couple of hours left in the auction. I would have placed a bid on one, so that I could move from 5.1 to 6.1, but was in a rush to get back to work. I have not seen them there since, but sometimes things are cyclical over there.

9. Mark Krawiec

Mark Krawiec Agent

My two cents.

I have an audiosource one-a late production run with vu meters which I bought used for $80, and an audiosource two that I got from ubid for $99. These are refurbished and seemed to be going for 89-149 on ubid when they appear.

They are quite good. One measures +/-

10. WilliamJay

Mark or anyone else who can answer this question,

Forgive my ignorance, but I am not well versed in the technical speak of audio.

Will a bridged Amp One work well as a power source for my SVS 20-39CS?

Thanks,

Bill

11. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

I have a 5.3 on the way to power my SVS 20-39 CS. It should be here by Wed. or Thurs. I was using an old Kenwood stereo receiver and it blew last Thursday. Damn smoke filled my Theater Room. I am looking forward to finally having a real amp power my SVS. I'll post back with my thoughts after it arrives.

-Dean-

12. Mark Krawiec

Mark Krawiec Agent

Bill,

I don't think the audiosource will have any problems running your SVS sub. If I'm not mistaken, your SVS sub is 4 ohms, isn't it?

Should be fine.

mark k.

13. WilliamJay

Mark,

The SVS is 4 ohms.

What differences can I expect to hear when I make the change to the One A from my old Onkyo receiver?

Bill

14. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

I don't know if the Audiosource amps have the oomph you'd want in a subwoofer. My Amp One runs out of gas and gets real hot trying to drive my 4 ohm towers loudly. It's a good clean amp but you can't ask too much of it. You can tell you're driving it too hard when the lights dim on bass hits.

I recommend these amps for driving 8 ohm speakers. From my current experiences, it is just not built well enough (power supply, etc) to handle difficult loads at high volumes. Otherwise, the sound is very good and has a remarkably "warm," "high end" quality to it; these amps are a great value at $100-150.

A theoretically perfect amp would quadruple its power when bridging, since each side of the amp sees half the load and thus would produce twice the power. The Amp One is rated at 80 watts stereo and 200 watts bridged, indicating approximately 100 wpc at 4 ohms.

15. Mark Krawiec

Mark Krawiec Agent

A 50wpc integrated receiver is likely not to have a decent amp section, even a good brand. Going to the audiosource would be a notable improvement. Better dynamics and clarity.
    That being said, I don't really disagree with Michael too much. It does get hot. But I don't really think it has a problem with 4 ohm loads. I've never had dimming lights on any heavy bass into the tempest. I'm not a crazy bass maniac, though.
    But, I think there are better sub amp choices, although, if you can score on one of these on ubid for cheap, it's a very good deal.
    I would use a plate amp for a sub.
    If I had to use a rack amp, I'd use a pro sound amp, like a qsc or crown.
    These give you massive power, and for a sub are probably a better deal.
    Course, you get the fan noise dilemna with most of these.

16. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

My Audiosource 5.3 amp arrived last Thursday and I put it through the test this weekend. I ran it for about 6 hours straight and it did not get very hot at all. My H/K 520 was way hotter. I had no problem with the fan being loud either. It actually ran very quiet. It had no problem driving my SVS 20-39CS. I ran it trough Episode 1, The Haunting: DTS, Titan A.E. Toy Story 2, Monster's Inc., The Matrix, and several CDs. The amp never clipped once and put out much better bass then the old Kenwood receiver I was using did. I am very happy with my purchase.

-Dean-