Audio solution for a public area

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim DiJoseph, Nov 8, 2002.

1. Jim DiJoseph

Jim DiJoseph Second Unit

Hey guys. I don't want anyone to think that the following discussion is anything but simple advice. If my company needs outside professional help, then it will indeed seek it (and of course pay for it).

With that said, I want to provide an audio solution for a new cafeteria that has recently been built in our corporate headquarters. The big guys want some sort of background music. Obviously, there are a few ways to approach this. I considered a CD jukebox option, but with the differences of opinion around here, it may be difficult to obtain the right music - and stick with it. My current solution is getting satellite tv installed in a nearby room and running the speakers into the cafe. This way, we can choose from a multitude of music stations and never have to worry about commercials and such.

What do you guys think? Any hardware suggestions that might provide a better solution? Thanks!

2. RussKon

RussKon Stunt Coordinator

Jim,

Get a commercial sound system installed. The size of the room will determine the number of speakers that you will require. A commercial mixing amplifier (available from Toa, Bogen, Peavey, etc) will be your most economical power source. I would recommend a cd changer as the music source. A great commercial speaker that is a flush mount ceiling type is the JBL control series The control 26ct is two way 70 volt speaker that can be tapped up to 60 watts per speaker. JBL also offers an in-ceiling subwoofer, the control 19cst. The JBL speakers offer a great sound at any level....

Russ

3. Jim DiJoseph

Jim DiJoseph Second Unit

Thanks, Russ. Actually, we're deciding between the JBL's and Infinity speakers. The millwork in the ceiling prevents them from being located up there, so our vendor will have to mount the speakers externally at the corners of the room (assuming we don't decide on a pair in the middle of the room).

I'm curious why you suggest a commercial amp rather than picking up a down-and-dirty one. Is the decision based on lifespan or something else?

Thanks again for your input.

4. RussKon

RussKon Stunt Coordinator

The commercial amps are mad e to run 24 hrs a day for years...The brands that I listed have a good reputation and can take a real beating. The other issue is that of output. You will need a commercial amp to run your system at 70 volts vs 8 ohms. (This solves the problem of impedance matching as well as allowing smaller gauge wire to be used. Typically 70 volt systems are wired with 18 gauge wire.)

JBL also makes the control series in a surface mount box type speaker. The Control 28t is available in black or white and can really crank out the sound. It also sounds great at lower levels.

5. Glenn

Glenn Stunt Coordinator

Hi Jim,

>>I considered a CD jukebox option, but with the differences of opinion around here, it may be difficult to obtain the right music - and stick with it. My current solution is getting satellite tv installed in a nearby room and running the speakers into the cafe. This way, we can choose from a multitude of music stations and never have to worry about commercials and such.

I think that a CD changer would be good to have, they are cheap enough, but I would probably suggest at least one other possible source. Maybe Satellite Radio as opposed to Satellite TV, unless you can use the tv/video options. The biggest downfall right now for satellite radio is that it is mostly aimed at car use. The Sony XM unit would work and they have a $75 rebate offer going now.

One other source option you might look into would be a hard drive based audio system.

Glenn

6. Jim DiJoseph

Jim DiJoseph Second Unit

Russ, thanks.

Glenn, I looked into the satellite radio option, but I'd be more comfortable if I had the opportunity to see it in use. I hadn't considered the hard-drive based option. Thanks for the suggestions!

7. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

Have you considered Muzak?

Muzak is an analog satellite-based music service. Many people think Muzak means cheesey elevator music, but that's just not true. Muzak offers a wide array of styles to choose from. At Taco Bell, where I work, we get a Muzak channel and it's mostly today's hits, with some older hits tossed in for a mix.

You may have legal issues if you go with a CD changer, or possibly even with satellite TV or XM radio if they're intended for home use. You see, any time music is played for a crowd over a certain size, money has to be paid to the publisher and artist. Radio stations pay these fees. Bars and nightclubs pay these fees. If your company was going to use CDs for this purpose they would probably have to pay these fees, too. This is why a subscription service like Muzak might be better, because those fees are built into the cost of the service. I don't know if these fees are built into the cost of home-intende satellite TV or XM radio; they may have appropriate subscriptions available for this purpose, I don't know. You should make a point to ask any of these service providers if it will be OK for you to use the serivce in your intended manner. If you want to go with a CD changer you should have your company's legal dept. make sure that is OK.

8. Jim DiJoseph

Jim DiJoseph Second Unit

Thanks for the info, Justin. I'd better ensure that the solution is legit. And I'll look into Muzak as well...

9. James Reyes

James Reyes Stunt Coordinator

Muzak is actually digital. All they do is resell DISH Network audio.