What's new

Audio Signal Delay/Sync - How important? (1 Viewer)

Gord Simpson

Auditioning
I've been researching Home Theater Recievers since mid December. Early on I'd read some information about the necessity of the Audio Sync/Delay function of modern recievers. Some have said the differences between the Reciever playing the audio and modern HDTVs decoding the signal can be upwards of 110 milliseconds (considerable).

I've mentioned this a number of times to salesman and always get the same answer, 'never heard of that being a problem' or 'I've never seen that in practice'. The other day one salesman was able to offer a reason why so many salesman have not had and issue with this.

He'd suggested that most signals (in our area anyway) rely on an external decoder vs the televisions decoder. This makes sense but is it true? That being the case how important is the SyncDelay function?

Jongyoon Lee

Stunt Coordinator
It's important if your display shows delayed video, and you are bothered by it. Mine does, and my next receiver has A/V delay feature.

Gord Simpson

Auditioning
My current display is not yet HD. My next two upgrades are Reciever and HDTV. Haven't decided the order yet. So if I do get the Reciever first its with the future in mind.

My thinking is to err on the side of caution but its a significant jump to something with sync. Non Sync I'm considering the Pioneer 1015 as a good performance for value option. If I go with something with the sync its a significant jump up here in Canada (599 to 799-899 cdn).

Is your TV thats having the sync issues handling the decoding of the HD signal or is you CableBox/DVD player? Not sure if the information I was given by the aforementioned salesman is accurate.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I have witnesses a bit of lip sync problems with DishNetwork's E501/508 receivers and the audio that has nothing to do with sending video/audio through a receiver/processor and to say the least, it is distrating! My Outlaw 970 has a audio delay that one can play with which I feel is worth whatever amt of money it costs to develop. So far, I haven't had it long enough to see if I need to use it but it's a feature I think those that have seen lip sync problems will feel that it is worthwhile.

Jay

Jongyoon Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Most Yamaha receivers can do A/V sync, except for the bottom end model. Denon's also have them with 686S and up. Onkyo's are not as accomodating, and you need 703 to get A/V sync.

Gord Simpson

Auditioning
Thanks Jongyoon Lee. I appreciate your posts.

The Denon 786S is the model thats at the top of my list for those with the sync option (686 has one less input and no digital audio on the front panel).

But alas it is alot more expensive then the Pioneer 1015 option. 899 vs 599 cdn for the Pioneer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks