What's new

Audio 'screech' on certain Blu-Ray DVDs (1 Viewer)

dhodges00

Auditioning
Real Name
Dennis
I am probably in need of at least an updated receiver, but just in case someone can help me correct the current problem I have I thought I'd try posting this first.
Setup is:
RECEIVER: JVC A/V Control Receiver RX-6000VBK (say, 8 years old?)
BLU-RAY: Panasonic DMP-BD35 (1 year old)
SPEAKERS: Yamaha 5/1CH speaker package (NS-P320, including SW-P201 subwoofer system) (3 years approx age)

The receiver has served us well over the years with standard DVD movies - 5.1 Dolby, 5.1 DTS, Surround, etc.
It continues to do so with the new Blu-Ray player UNLESS the BR disc has the newer 5.1 DTS or similar sound built into it.
If that is the case, the sound output will include a metallic, screechy quality to it (sort of like finger nails on a blackboard).
The 'fix' is to turn off the receiver and then turn it back on while the movie is still playing, at which point the sound is fine through all speakers. However, the sound problem re-occurs if you pause, rewind or FF a movie then hit 'play' again. If I do that, I then have to turn the receiver off and on again.

The older receiver has no HDMI of course. I've connected it to the highest degree possible (optical). It's been awhile since we set it up so I can't recall where I've channeled the sound (BR to Receiver? or, BR to HDTV to Receiver?)

Any suggestions are appreciated.

27dnast

Agent
Real Name
Todd
I would have that issue with my old blu ray set-up... although my blu ray player was connected via multichannel. The problem would come if I attempted to play a DVD (BD) disk and left the AVR on multichannel... it would give some pretty unpleasant sound. If however, I switched to the optical input, it would sound fine.

Perhaps you need to tweak something in the set-up menu of your bd player? I wonder if you need to change what kind of output you are asking the bd player to perform (ie. bit stream, pcm, etc.) Perhaps that's the problem.

dhodges00

Auditioning
Real Name
Dennis
Thanks, Todd. Makes sense and I'll look into that. I had assumed all along that the blu-ray player was just too much for the receiver, but you may have a point. Particularly since standard 5.1 DTS dvd's play fine with no sound distortion. I may be inadvertently having the BR feed too much into my old receiver, as you suggest.

Sorry I missed your reply; I'd subscribed to the thread but got no email regarding it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks