Audio Ripping speed death....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Svencer, Dec 12, 2002.

1. Chris Svencer

Chris Svencer Stunt Coordinator

I have an Asus 52x cd-rom that won't rip audio over 6x. It used to work fine before I reinstalled windows (would rip at like 14x or something) now after a fresh install it won't rip over 6x. Any suggestions? Where did all my speed go?
    -Svence

2. Jeff Peake

Jeff Peake Supporting Actor

Make sure it is in UDMA mode. Go into Device Manager and check the IDE Controller properties.

3. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    Most CD-Roms wont rip anywhere near their maximum read spead. I have a Kenwood TrueX 52X cd rom with Zen technology (uses 7 lasers to read the disk instead of 1 and then recombines the data read by each laser before sending it through the IDE interface) and I can still only get maybe 8X at the MAX rip speeds or maybe 20X if I rip in burst mode with no error correction. TDK VeloCD line of CD burners claims to use special technology to let you rip at a true 48X (or whatever the maximum read speed of that partcular TDK drive is)

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i'm going with jeff. check to make sure that the DMA is enabled.
    essentially that will allow you to copy from drive to drive...bypassing the mb.
    i typically copy around 20x or so. if i'm copying from my hd i can get up to 26x. takes me about 3min to copy an entire cd. [​IMG]

5. Chris Svencer

Chris Svencer Stunt Coordinator

I changed it to DMA and got it up to 9x...but still no 13x like before I reinstalled windows. It doesn't seem like it really is spinning up that fast. Anything else I can do?
    Svence