Audio recording software recommendations

Discussion in 'Computers' started by JonahWicky, Jan 14, 2004.

1. JonahWicky

JonahWicky Stunt Coordinator

Hi. Now that I've got my computer connected to my receiver, I'd like to record my old LPs and cassettes onto the hard drive. I'm looking for recommendations on software that can do the job simply. I'm not interested in editing, just recording.
    Also, what's a good format to save these file to? Is there anything other than (or better than) MP3 that's reasonably compressed? Or should I just stick with MP3?
    Thanks.

2. Try either FLAC or Ogg Vorbis. Both are lossless and are leaps and bounds ahead of MP3

3. Sathyan

Sathyan Second Unit

While I highly recommend recording to WAV, lossless compression is a good option: FLAC, Monkey Audio, Ogg.

I use a cheap ($7) program called RipVinyl. Its light on system resources and can start a new track after a defined amount of silence (you can define the length and how quiet silence is). You can manually start new tracks with a single keystroke.

The other recorder I use is HighCriteria's Total Recorder ($11) which incorporates timers.

Either will be sufficient for your needs.

Capture to WAV. Compress (if you must) afterwards.

4. JonahWicky

JonahWicky Stunt Coordinator

That makes sense. I've got plenty of disk space, so recording WAVs shouldn't be a problem. Are those programs available online somewhere?

5. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    surprised nobody mentioned the SHN (shorten) format. widely used in concert audio trading. nice plugin for winamp too.

FAQ for SHN at etree.org

CJ