Audio Rack

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by ColbyTrio, Feb 11, 2004.

1. ColbyTrio

ColbyTrio Extra

Does anyone know where I can find a cheap 4 shelf audio rack? I would like for it to have glass shelves...

I have looked far and wide and eveything is $200 and up. Thats a bit out of my budget!

Thanks!

2. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

Here is one made by Omnimount. It retails for $199.95, but maybe you could get it cheaper on the net.

I use a variant of that stand in maple(you can click on my HT icon to see a picture of it).

DJ

3. ColbyTrio

ColbyTrio Extra

David,

Thanks. I think I have seen that when I was searching. I was needing something a bit smaller. All I have is a receiver, DVD player, and HD receiver.

4. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    Try some office products stores like Office Depot, Office Max. They have a few ET centers there, some in metal/glass, for around $100 or less. Gene

5. Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy Supporting Actor

6. DaveHo

DaveHo Supporting Actor

I can vouch for the Walmart one. My brother-in-law picked one of those up, and for the money it's really not bad. Tubes are fillable if you want some extra mass, and the fit and finish is pretty good for an $80 rack. One word of caution though. The rack is not particularly deep and if you are using any stiff cables you might have a tough time getting them to clear the cable management/center rear support.

-Dave

7. ColbyTrio

ColbyTrio Extra

Thanks guys!

The Walmart rack looks pretty good... but I am needing something about 2 feet smaller.

8. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

4 shelves at 2ft tall? 8" clearance for the 3 inside shelves... Does it need to be one piece of equipment wide? If not Walmart has a 40" wide 2' tall shelf that matches the 4' tall one previously mentioned for the same price. It's designed to hold up to a 42" TV, but I use mine for all my gear and put my center speaker on top under my Front Projection screen.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...&xsell=2233780

9. Ray_C

Ray_C Stunt Coordinator

10. ColbyTrio

ColbyTrio Extra

Stephen,

Thanks for your help... I need to take a look at that stand. I like it.

A bit wide...but for under $100 it's almost perfect!

11. Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer

The stand is about as narroe as you can get and still fit 2 full-width components side-by-side on each shelf. Here's a picture of mine in use so you can get a better idea...

[​IMG]

The top and bottom are MDF finished in Piano Black Laquer. The posts are steel w/ a silver painted finish. The Shelf is 1/4" tempred glass. I love the shelf but it doesn't match the rest of my furniture and speakers very well (all dark cherry) so i'm probably going to paint the silver parts w/ a satin-black or truck-bed-liner finish. The curved piano black top/bottom is, however, a perfect match to the top/bottom of my Swan Diva Speakers.

Hope this helps [​IMG]

12. George Caronan

George Caronan Stunt Coordinator

Stephen,

That is cool looking stand...but man, that is a humongous center! What is it? Quick question which I hope doesn't throw this thread to the speakers section. I'm thinking of putting together a two channel system where I would like to have a small rack.

13. Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer

Swan's Diva C3. It is indeed a quite large center @ 23" wide X 10" deep X 8.5" tall.

14. ColbyTrio

ColbyTrio Extra

Looking nice man. I might end up getting it.

15. chiante

chiante Agent

I have the tall stand from wal-mart and love it. I saw one exactly like it by another company at Ultimate for 299.99, it was a no-brainer to go with the 79.99 one at wal-mart.
    [​IMG]

16. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Any guess as to how much weight the Wal*Mart $80 stand can support? I'd buy one if I thought the glass shelves could hold a multichannel amp or hefty reciever.

17. Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer

The shelves are 1/4" tempered glass so they should hold anything you put on them within reason. The glass shelf on the taller one held my 43TX with no porblems until i switched to the short/wide one for FP use. The 43TX weighs around 50lb i believe.

18. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

I'm bringing this thread back. Concerning that Walmart rack , can anyone tell me how much weight each shelf supports and what the dimensions of each shelf are?

Thanks!

Jeff

19. Jim*H

Jim*H Auditioning

Funny you should ask Jeff - I was walking through there today on my way to the camping stuff and saw that rack.

Although I didn't measure each shelf, I think the dimensions given are total width, etc. Those circular vertical supports are about 2" in diameter, so subtracting that from the total width would give you an approximate shelf width of 19 or 20" or so. Just my guess...

As a side note, the shelves rest on pins that thread into each vertical support, and they looked strong enough to hold a decent sized receiver.

Hope that helps.

20. Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer

I had the AV rack when I was using an RPTV and loved it. I couldn't find anything I liked more for under $200. The shelves are tempered glass and are very sturdy. One shelf held my Elite 43TX with no problem. Since I went to front project I picked up the TV Stand version and sit my center channel on the top and it works perfect, although the piano black finish does reflect some light and may not be ideal for front projection. I still love it. As for dimension, your average piece of AV equipment will fit on each rack w/ room to spare on each side, but items that use the full depth of the shelf may hang off a bit because the glass is curved at the back. The feet of the item should still be sitting on w/ no problem, but the back corners may hang over the glass a bit. If you've seen the shelf in person i'm sure you can figure out what i'm referring to.

Hope this helps [​IMG]