What's new

Audio Rack Placement Question (1 Viewer)

Matt Weldy

Second Unit
Do most people put all of there gear in a room out of sight. This was my plan but now I am building my basement theater. I am kind of afraid that I will want to see the display on my reciever (format, mode, dsp, etc...). Anybody done it one way and wish they did it another way?

Thanks for your imput I just cant decide.

Matt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

I wouldn’t necessarily say that “most people” put their gear in another room out of site. A lot of people simply don’t have a good “out of site” location to put the gear.

If you’re worried about it, you could put the gear off to the side, or in the back of the room, so that you can still see the display if you want or need to with reasonable convenience. Personally I like having the gear in the room – looks cool. I also like having the “front of house” (i.e., up where the screen is) clean and uncluttered. I used to have my gear up front in an entertainment center. Now it’s off to the side, with only the TV in front. I’m liking the new way better, and I can still look at the displays if I want to.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I agree with Wayne. I would never have the equipment in another room. The lack of convenience and general nuisance of it would live long after the "cool" factor had worn off. I also have it all off to the side of the TV and Speakers. The items which need to be seen are behind glass doors or without doors and the amps and other bulky items are behind wood doors.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
My main set up is like Wayne's - a quick glance to corner of the room and I can see the status of things.

My other setup all the gear is in a closet. It's cool to be able to have everything out of the way, but from a functionality standpoint it's much less convenient.

DelRay

Stunt Coordinator
I think that with some people, having the audio/video rack on the front wall can be a little distracting, with light from the gear. My gear is on the front wall but doesn't bother me once the movie starts.
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

And like others have posted, it's nice to be able to check the status of things while seated in your chair.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Just to be clear, my audio gear is at least 15 feet to the side of the TV, so it is definitely not distracting. Plus, the gear I have has very little in the way of lit displays. Anyway, that seems to be what people here like, when you have the space. FWIW, I have all my media in a closet space in the same room. It is kind of convenient because the large room I have for my HT was once used as a film projection room, with all the projection equipment in a closet-like space where the doors could be opened when needed. It is a convenient place for all my discs now.

joseph westcott

Second Unit
My gear is behind the couch so it gives my speakers more room to stretch their legs without impedances. It also is less distracting with all the component lights.

A remote with a radio frequency transmitter will still allow you to operate your components while still facing the screen.

Racks tend to box in the speakers and that is not a good thing for proper acoustics. The more space you give your speakers, the better.

Kevin Stewart

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Stewart
All my gear is in a built in equipment rack on the left wall (toward the front) of the room. It's not distracting at all and I can see all of the displays if I want to (including time remaining). The perfect location IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks