Audio Questions

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Seam Dempsy, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Seam Dempsy

Seam Dempsy Stunt Coordinator

Im in the middle of setting up my first speaker system and am slightly confused on how to connect audio. To get multi-channel though my DVD player do I need an digital optical cable? And my GameCube doesnt have the digital audio out but if I connect it to my reciever using its normal stereo audio cables will it play surround at all? And if it will what do I need to do to make sure it does? Also, do I only need to connect my sub using the LFE connection?

2. Mike_Skeway

Mike_Skeway Second Unit

To play the DD or DTS track use the digital out on the DVD player (coax or optical, it doesn’t matter that much).

Yes, you can use PL or DTS or other surround formats with a 2-channel source.

3. Seam Dempsy

Seam Dempsy Stunt Coordinator

I have a spare composite video cable. Can I use that for a digital audio cable?

4. John S

John S Producer

yes and no.. It may work, but you are supposed to have 75 ohm coax, most composite video is just plain shielded audio type cable.

5. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

Try not to confuse the guy. An analog connection will only give you Pro-Logic for surround. Analog connections will also work with other soundfields provided on your receiver (PL II, or other, depending on receiver make/model). Dolby Digital and DTS require a digital (optical or coax, does not matter) connection to the receiver.

Sean, take some time to read through the beginners primer and FAQ found at the top of this forum. Covers much of the basics and may answer some of your questions.

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

you may wanna clarify what you mean there too.

multi-channel audio generally refers to sacd or dvd-a. but i don't think that's what you're meaning here.

7. Mike_Skeway

Mike_Skeway Second Unit

DTS Neo:6 and the like are not digital, that is what I was referring to. I was not trying to confuse anyone. The other formats I mentioned depend on the receiver. I guess I should have said, any processing mode that is not for digital could be used for a 2-channel source. Sorry if I made more confusion to anyone.

8. Johnny Ayala

Johnny Ayala Stunt Coordinator

DTS isn't digital? If not..then what does DTS stand for? [​IMG][​IMG]

9. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    The "D" in DTS does stand for "Digital" but DTS Neo:6 is a surround format, which is what Mike was referring to, that competes with and is simular to DPLII. They both take a two channel stereo source, such as cd or FM radio, and convert it to 5 or 6 channel surround sound. Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 are referred to as "digital" and require a digital (either optical or coax) connection to be used. "Digital" is generally not used when referring to DPLII and DTS Neo:6. These are thought of as analog surround formats. I should have let Mike answer this but I think I had too many cups of coffee today and I couldn't wait any longer! Sorry Mike[​IMG] ! BTW, for those who don't know, DTS stands for "Digital Theater Systems" Gene

10. Mike_Skeway

Mike_Skeway Second Unit

No problem Gene, thanks for answering, I didn’t have enough coffee today. [​IMG] [​IMG]