What's new

Audio problems with N64 S-Video cables... (1 Viewer)

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
I've been helping my brother set up his Kenwood HTiB this weekend, and I'd ideally like to get S-Video switching for everything. Finding an N64 S-Video cable that works has been a nightmare, though.

We've tried the Pelican and MadCatz "combo" cables so far. The video portion of both cables works just fine, but the audio from both cables has been horrible. The Pelican cable does output sound that can barely be heard over a constant hum, and the MadCatz produces nothing but a buzzing noise from the right front speaker.

The composite cable included with the N64 works just fine. Should I just have him purchase the Composite-To-S-Video adapter from Radio Shack to use with the composite cable, or should we try another S-Video cable? I'm not sure how easy it will be to locate the official Nintendo N64 one. Would the GCN's work just as well, theoretically?

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I cheaped out and bought a $1 S-video cable for my N64 on ebay. Little did I know that it works like poop (video-wise)! I recently got a GC and upgraded to the component cable, I use the S-vid cable that came with the GC for the N64 and it works great. I still haven't tested it on the snes but I'm sure I'll get similar results.
The official GC S-video cable is the one I recommend.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks