Audio Problems regarding the Dialogue

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Geoff Baumbach, Nov 21, 2002.

1. Geoff Baumbach

Geoff Baumbach Auditioning

STAR WARS: Episode II

I have returned this DVD three times, and I continute to receive the same effect. This is the worst DVD I have ever listened too. The background noise behind people's (human, not robots or creatures generally) voices is unbearable.

I own a Klipsch reference system powered by a Sony STR-DE675. (I don't want to hear about my amp, I picked it up new for $200 with a 4 year BB warranty, not bad for something cheap and it works until I purchase better)

I've listened to a lot of DVDs, and I've never had this problem. I just watched Lord of the Rings (simply amazing); and I did not notice any problems. I viewed the DVD using sony's multiple sound modes (I keep mine normal because I don't like manufactures manipulating the original track). I also played it in stereo: same problem.

I then put it on my computer and listened with headphones and through the speakers...just as bad. It sounds its worst whenever Anakin and Palpatine talk. The dialogue exchange between Anakin/Obi and Queen Amidala in the beginning of the movie is one part that sounds especially bad. At some points, I hear a piercing sound as if someone placed a microphone by an amp.

I can hear it at any volume, loud or moderate. I'm uncertain of the problem, but I can't enjoy this movie sounding like that. Everything was crystal clear, even the voices; but that "room noise" that shuts on and off throughout the movie whenever some people talk and the "hissing" makes me cringe. If anyone can suggest something, or has heard this as well, please help out. Thanks.

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I would suggest posting specific time codes and descriptions of what you're hearing at each.

-V

3. Geoff Baumbach

Geoff Baumbach Auditioning

Chapter 5 0:07:50
    -THROUGH-
    Chapter 5 0:10:00

This is the dialogue exchange I was talking about in my post. This is one of many scenes that I hear this problem. If you listen carefully, the room noise will turn on/off and with 1 second delay between people speaking. It is only really noticeable with Anakin, Obi, and Amadalla speaking. Others aren't noticeable. Anakin is the worst.

In the beginning of the exchange when the Queen meets Obi and Anakin, you hear a lot of dead noise when they do not speak for about 2 seconds, that is where the "room noise" increases and almost hissy like the microphone near an amp analogy. It abrubtly shuts off, but picks up when Obi yells at Anakin for being a brat.

Let me know if you guys hear anything. This does this throughout the whole movie, not just this scene. Sometimes the effects are so loud, you cannot notice it. Its only noticeable when there isn't much but dialogue exchanged.

I've always heard slight room noise with most movies, but that comes with listening to it loud with horn driven speakers...but it is never distracting: not like this. Thanks.