Audio Problems On Band of Brothers on Dishnetwork

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lanny Hoff, Sep 9, 2001.

1. Lanny Hoff

Lanny Hoff Stunt Coordinator

Just watched and tried to listen to Band of Brothers. My Dishplayer 7200 kept losing the DD signal and everytime there was a fade to black it switched to "normal" audio. So, for the last two hours I've heard about 70% of the sound of this great miniseries as my normally rock-steady receiver (Integra DTR 6) tried to cope with an audio stream that went from DD 5.1 to PCM and back again over and over and over.
    Did anyone else experience this amazingly distracting and enormously irritating glitch? Dishnetwork told me that it was a problem with "just that channel" and that they hoped a software update would correct it in the future. Of course they don't know when. I asked to get a month of service free in return for what I see as a MAJOR flaw in their system as I've experienced it while watching Pay Per View also.
    So, anybody else with this problem?

2. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
  3. Lanny Hoff

Steven,
    Which Dish receiver do you have? You've given me hope that it can somehow be fixed.

4. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    No problems either on my Dish 6000. I was watching the HDTV feed off of 61.5, though.
    - Steve

5. Lanny Hoff

Well, now that it's showing on Dish #303, I've isolated some more of this issue. turns out that it's the recorded version that has problems. Seems as if the "live" feed sounds beautiful. It must be a bug on the Dishplayer I've got.
    Ho hum, I guess I'll have to make time to see the whole damn thing without potty breaks or beer runs!

6. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    I watched it on Dish channel 300 in DD 5.1 and all was fine except for an audio drop in episode 2, then the sound seemed louder?
    ------------------
    Regards,
    Todd

My HT

7. Leroy

Leroy Second Unit

8. Andres Munoz

Andres Munoz Cinematographer

I also have a Dishplayer 7200 but I only had ONE audio drop out. Otherwise everything else was fine.
    God was I happy last night when my receiver showed I was a getting a DD signal. It sounded awsome!!
    ------------------
    Andres
    http://home.earthlink.net/~coolvirus

9. David Baird

David Baird Extra

I have to agree that BOB may be one of the finest TV miniseries ever. LBX and DD 5.1 made this an exeptionally fine premiere. However, I also noted a few audio/video dropouts on HBO-E via DishNetwork which was quite annoying. Spoke to DishNetwork tech support a few minutes ago. They believe these dropouts may be their problem at the uplink center. MANY, MANY calls have been fielded there today, they said.
    Wonder how many folks with Direct TV had these glitches?

10. Gary Kellerman

Gary Kellerman Stunt Coordinator

I have MTS on my cable system. I did hear a 2 second audio dropout. My cable system needs to slightly boost the audio and balance the channels at the front end. Cable companies apparently do not monitor too well the audio output of their satellite channels some of which are hitting plus 10 decibels. I felt the sound was quite good overall, but particulaly the battle scene capturing their large guns. I listened to my recording on a DPL receiver and my 5 channel Dynaquad set-up which is about 50% as good as D.D. in sound and separation. It was great on the Dynaquad circuit.

11. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

I had a few short DD dropouts during Band Of Brothers last night on my DirecTV system. This was actually very good compared to the constant DD dropouts that I've been getting from HBO.

12. Lanny Hoff

Here's what I think: everytime that the audio screws up on Dishnetwork, everyone should call customer service and demand that they file a report. Over time, I think they will get it squared away.
    After all, one of the things we should be getting is clean, clear audio. If they want to offer us DD 5.1, it should damn well work! Why should we pay good money for less than good service?