What's new

Audio problems ... DVD player or receiver? (1 Viewer)

TexasStation

Agent
Real Name
Jim
Hello,
We just installed an Denon 3808C receiver and an LG DM798 DVD player in our media room. Whenever we make any menu selections, chapter selections or skip chapters during a movie, there is a delay of close to 5 seconds after the video starts playing before the sound comes back on. Really bothersome. And it happens during all the layer changes during movies as well. The LG player is only a temporary one until our Panasonic Blu-Ray player arrives in a couple weeks. We had the equipment put in by an installer and they are coming out next week to check out the problem, but I thought I would run it by some folks in the forum to see if anyone knows where the problem is originating from and how to correct it. I'm hoping it is a dvd player issue, since, like I said, it is a temp, but I'd be a little more concerned if it is something to do with the Denon receiver. I poured through the manuals and didn't find any clues. Thanks!

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Did you set the speaker distances (delay), in the receiver's setup menus? Are you using a digital connection from dvd to receiver, or 5.1 analog connections? If using 5.1 analog connections, you need to set speaker distances in the dvd player's setup menus also.

I've never used this feature personally, but some receivers and/or dvd players, also have settings for sync. Just double check all your setup settings, and make sure everything is set right. If something in the settings looks like it might have something to do with it, change it. You can always set it back, if it doesn't help.
Good luck!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It's not a configuration issue, at least not regarding delay, speaker distance or anything like that. It sounds like the receiver is having trouble locking on the digital audio signal. My first guess is the problem starts with the player. What audio connection are you using? Optical or coax? The second option is to change that cable. I wouldn't knock myself out until the BluRay is hooked up. The problem may disappear.

TexasStation

Agent
Real Name
Jim
Thanks for the replies. I'm running an HDMI cable from the DVD player to the receiver and an HDMI cable from the receiver out to the projector. The equipment is in a closet right outside our mediia room. The front speaker array is maybe 10-12 feet from the receiver and the surrounds further away. The only source components are the DVD player and an Xbox360, and I haven't noticed this delay on any Xbox games, so that's why I was kind of leaning toward it being a DVD player issue. I didn't remember seeing any settings for speaker distances in the manual for either the receiver or the DVD player, but I will look again.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Speaker distance is somewhere in the speaker setup on the receiver. Not the DVD player.

You may eliminate the problem by using a separate digital audio cable, instead of running the audio through hdmi. There may also be a configuration on the receiver to default to hdmi audio, which you should turn on. There is a good chance it is set to default to an optical/coax input and has to search for the hdmi audio input, resulting in the delay. Receivers have a lot of variables and you really need to understand all of them, which isn't an easy thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zoobird
Recent bookmarks