What's new

Audio Problem (1 Viewer)

Dashingw

Auditioning
Real Name
Darryl
Hi Peeps,

I have a question just to double check that I am not in the wrong.

I have an LG 42" LCD HDTV with all the normal connections on the back

I tend to put all my audio connections into the TV and then use the TV Digital Audio Out (with the digital coax cable) going to the Digital In on my Phillips DVD Digital Surround Receiver.

Everything seems to work perfect this way and it leaves only one cable going to the Digital Surround Receiver.

Until now, here's the problem....

I just got an High Def receiver from Bell Expressvu which I hooked up to my tv with just an HDMI cable which ofcourse carries audio and video.

And I still have the one Digital Audio cable coming from the Digital Out of the TV to the Digital In of the Surround Receiver

For some reason I only hear the Standard Def Channels through my Digital Surround System. I am not getting the HDTV channels audio through it. The only way I can hear the audio on the HDTV channels is on the TV itself or If I hook up a set of red and white RCA cables and go into my surround receiver with them but that's not Digital ??

I don't quite understand why I get the Standard Def Digital audio and not the High Def Digital Audio as they are the same audio correct ??

Unless ofcourse they are not broadcasting a digital signal like they are supposed to ??

Any Ideas or am I missing something ??

Any help would be appreciated and thank you,

Darryl

Dashingw

Auditioning
Real Name
Darryl
My Bell box only has an optical Digital outlet and I don't have that on my stereo receiver. It shouldn't matter though as my HDMI connection from the Bell box carries my Digital audio to my tv as well and the Digital outlet from the TV puts it into my stereo receiver. As I said I get the Digital sound from channels 200-799 fine it's 800 and up which are HDTV channels that I don't get the sound from my stereo receiver and that's weird as Standard Def and HD all go throught the HDMI cable to the TV. It doesn't make sense that one would go back out to the stereo receiver and not the other.

I also just noticed that my Disney Channel 549 also doesn't go through the Stereo receiver, Onlt the TV !! Weird

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

You are assuming the above is true, but it is not. It is one of the most common mistakes we see around here. The digital out on 99% of TV's will only output DD from the internal tuner. Every other source is converted to regular stereo or it doesn't play at all. You either need a cable box with a coax out or a receiver with optical in to get DD from the cable box.

Jeff O.

Stunt Coordinator
Could it be a setting in your Bell Box? The lower number channels are probably in stereo, whereas the HD channels are in Dolby Digital. If you have a stereo receiver, it may not be able to handle a DD signal. Check the settings on the Bell Box and make sure that your receiver can handle whatever audio format the Bell Box outputs from DD channels.

Dashingw

Auditioning
Real Name
Darryl
No I'm telling you guys it works (for the most part). When I watch a standard def channel on satellite box or a DVD on my DVD player my digital surround receiver has to be set to Dig-In for me to get sound through the system. And of course thats my Digital setting for my stereo receiver. I only have one cable going into my Surround receiver like I said and that is the Digital Audio Coax. That's it !!!! I even have my Wii coming in through the Dig-in Setting. I am receiving all in Digital Surround except for channels 800+. I can only get 800+ through my stereo if i go from my TV to my receiver with red and white RCA plugs and put my stero receiver on Aux-Analog which ofcourse is not digital. Which leads me to beleive that Hi Def channels, by Bell ExpressVu anyways are not Digital Dolby but just Dolby Surround.

It this making sense to you guys now ) It is a little hard to explain but I thought about it one night and tried it because it sounded right to me and I don't have a Digital Out coax on my Satellite box just a Dig Optical and I don't have one of those on anything else, but I did have a Digital Out Coax on my TV so I figured send all the audio into my HDTV TV Via the HDMI connections and Composite connections and just have one digital out from my TV to my surround system

Try it if you can and it's not a pain, I would be interested to know if someone else that has a Digital Audio Out on there TV can get HD channels in Digital as well that way but with a different cable supplier than bell
because then I would know for sure it's the cable supplier. Because I can't figure out why I get Digital Audio from 799 down and not from 800 up. By the way I did find one other channel that is not giving me digital audio that is not in the 800 range but that's it and it's a new disney channel not HD though.

Everything else works, Standard Def Channels, DVD's, Wii

Thanks for the input,

Darryl

Dashingw

Auditioning
Real Name
Darryl
Problem Solved !! Must have been an issue with the satellite company as it all of a sudden started to work on it's own !!

Thanks and just a reminder, if your TV has a digital Out Coax jack then you can put all your audio into the TV and then out to your surround system...

Thanks for trying folks,

Darryl

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Apparently, the moral of this little fable is that most, if not all technical support issues will resolve themselves unexpectedly.

Check to see that the audio is in fact digital surround, and not just stereo.

chuckg

Supporting Actor

This is not true for nearly every TV...the manual on mine Mitsu clearly says that the digital out on the TV is only for the TV tuner, and does not carry sound from other inputs. Too bad it doesn't, things would be simpler!

Dashingw

Auditioning
Real Name
Darryl
Well it works on mine thankfully, because I only have one cable going to my surround receiver and that's the digital coax and my audio from every unit is going through it fine from the tv. And it's not just stereo because I have the main voices through the Front Center Speaker and all the background noise out of the rear surround ones.

However I find myself tonight having the same problem I started with again and that was missing the digital sound from the HD channels. I called Bell Satellite and finally had them tell me they are having problems with their HD digital audio and that's why I am only getting it intermittently. If they had of told me that 2 weeks ago when I first called it could have saved a whole lot of frustration.

You can imagine my frustration after having it finally lastnight to turn on the TV today to an HD Channel and having the sound not going through the digital receiver again....

I have been through my tv manual and it doesn't say anything about not being able to use the digital out as a main audio output to my surround receiver. Actually all it says is to connect it to various types of digital equipment

Dashingw

Auditioning
Real Name
Darryl
Here's a reply I got from LG themselves that sort of answered my question short but sweet.....

"Digital out is used as long as the TV speakers are off" Regards David Herbert LG Canada

And I explained the whole thing to LG in a letter asking them about the Digital Out...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation199
Recent bookmarks