Audio problem with VCR

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Troy_A, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Troy_A

Troy_A Auditioning

Crackle... crackle... pop... crackle... pop

is what I hear from my TV speakers.

I have a Tosh 57HX83 rptv and panasonic VCR. I have a 1-to-2 splitter on the cable from the wall, with one side of the split going to a Comcast HDTV box and the other side going to the VCR. Then I have the VCR coax out hooked up to the TV. I also have the VCR hooked up to my receiver with standard RCA cables.

The problem occurs when I have the VCR recording (or simply on) and at the same time I watch the TV on the antenna 1 input (coax from VCR). The VCR/TV selector is set to TV. Let's say, for example, I am recording on channel 11 and watching channel 4. I can hear the channel 4 audio just fine, but I also hear a low, distorted, crackling portion of audio from channel 11. The receiver is off, btw. All the sound is coming from the TV. If I turn the VCR off, the crackle goes away immediately so I know the VCR has to be the culprit.

My question: is my VCR broken or is the problem something in the way I have everything hooked up, or something else?
    [​IMG]

2. John S

John S Producer

Stereo Hi-Fi VCR's are cheap, you can buy one just to see if it solves the issue, if not, you can take it back.

I would think this is a bad cable somewhere though myself.

3. Troy_A

Troy_A Auditioning

Well I tried switching out the cables with some others I have that are new. It didn't help, so I am almost positive now it is a glitch in the VCR. Oh well, not worth replacing a VCR at this point. I don't use it that much.

4. Jake K

Jake K Stunt Coordinator

Duh!!.. That's not a VCR at all, it's a turntable and a really old record!![​IMG]

Seriously though, why the coax cable from the VCR to the TV? Why not use the HDTV box to tune in channel 4 instead of the tuner in the VCR? I don't have HDTV so I may be thinking wrong here.[​IMG]