What's new

Audio problem when switching sources- need advice (1 Viewer)

Derek_CC

Auditioning
Afternoon,

I finally got my home theater hooked up as follows:
Pioneer 811S A/V rec.
JBL NSP1 speakers
Sony sawm40 sub
Toshiba 50h82 TV
Carol 12 GA 2 COND SPEAKER WIRE from parts express#100-740
and connected the speakers to the receiver with GOLD BANANA PLUG PAIR COMPRESSION STYLE parts express#091-330 banana plugs.

Here's my problem. I have the monster HDTV pack for xbox along with the monster optical cable. Picture and sound are great when the movie is playing. Sometimes if i leave it on the menu (especially The Matrix) and when the menu repeats, occasionally one of the speakers makes 3 short static bursts and then usually stops. Sometimes though, after the static bursts it will make a continuous high pitched whining sound until I turn the receiver off.

This also (and more commonly) happens after switching back to analog tv input source or vice versa (those are my only 2 inputs).

Any suggestions? I ran the wires inwall. Could it be possible that I have a bad speaker connection or would the more likely culprit be the a/v receiver "locking" up? I'm new to HT so if you could provide an explanation rather than a quick answer that would also be helpful.

Thanks,
Derek

Gary Mays

Agent
Its your receiver, I think. Sorry. I have the same problem with a Pioneer 711. The problem occurs when the receiver switches from a digital to an analog source. That's why you get the noise during the menu on Matrix; DVD menus are often in analog sound, while the movie itself is digital.

Check out this thread (I'm SkunkApe over there):

http://www.hometheaterspot.com/htsth...rue#Post368706

My advice is to return the reciver to the store if you're withing the store's return period. I was too late. I called Pioneer about mine, but they were clueless. I'm too lazy to take it to a service center; somehow, after my phone call, I don't get the feeling they can fix it. I moved mine to the front room for music only, and bought a Yahmaha for movies in the back room.

Good luck. I feel for you. You read all this forum stuff trying to make an informed choice when you buy, then this happens. Darn.

Derek_CC

Auditioning
Thanks for the reply. I figured something with the D/A A/D wasn't working right. I contacted 6ave.com where I purchased it and had no problem getting a replacement sent out and they are having UPS pick up the faulty unit.

Hope the next one works,
Derek

Derek_CC

Auditioning
I received the replacement receiver from 6ave a few days ago. Apparently they were OOS and had to order a new one from Panasonic. Anyways, after some testing the problem is gone. No more ticks or high pitched whines after switching A/D. Phew!

One happy HTer,
Derek

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks