Real Name
Greg
Ok here is the equipment:
New 50in Panasonic Plasma
New Samsung Blue Ray DVD
8 year old Denon AVR2808 Receiver

BlueRay connected to TV Via HDMI
Audio out is Dital Optical to receiver

Here is the problem. The receiver in Auto mode to detect DTS or Dolby Ditital will not engage. I have to manaully select the mode. There is also I gues I can call it a kind of reverb or echo sounding when charectors are speaking. Sound OK during action sequences but as soon as they speak it just sound like they are in a plain room and their voices are bounceing all around.
Thanks fro any help.
Greg

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Is this the audio output from the Blu Ray player or from the TV? It should be from the player. If your TV outputs digital audio from sources other than its own tuner at all (which is rare enough) it will certainly down-convert to two-channel rather than simply passing it through. This and your TV speakers being on would explain the problems you're describing, including the echo.

BTW, it would help if you'd list the model numbers of your TV and Blu Ray player, as well as the TV.

Regards,

Joe

googus

Grip
Real Name
Greg
I am a typical average guy not sure on the proper settings. I have tried to change the audio option on the Blue ray to convert-pcm, etc and it doesn't seem to work.

I ONLY notice an echo via Denon 2808 receiver.

The TV is not on Mute, TV audio is factory set and seem to operate to specs.

The Blue Ray Samsung BD-P1600 is conected to
Panasonic 50in Plasma TC-P50si HDMI cord. The audio out from Blue Ray is vis Optical Cord Directly to the Denon Receiver. The problem seems to be optical to receiver.

Again seems to have an echo via stereo(voices seems to be worse like bouning of walls). Also I tried a DTS Reg DVD and the stereo does not auto pick audio format. It also doesn't auto pick Blue Ray audion in DTS or Dolby Digital5.1.

This is killing me after I spent $$ on a new set an a Blue Player and I can't fully enjoy a movie:frowning:

Thanks for all your help
Greg

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Small note: It is "Blu Ray", not "Blue Ray". No "e" in the trademarked name.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Well, the TV should be on mute when you're using the surround sound system. There is no Earthly reason to use both, and because of processing times, there were inevtiably be sync issues, hence the echo you are hearing.

So that's a relatively simple fix for problem number one.

Problem number 2: A couple of things you can try.

First, since you presumably don't want to watch a Bu Ray disc or standard DVD without surround sound, why not just run an HDMI cable from the player to the AVR, and another from the AVR to the TV? That gives you a single, digital, signal path for both picture and sound from the player through the receiver to the TV instead of the current split arrangement. This might also help with the echo if you still want to leave the TV sound turned on. (Though it won't help with the fact that the TV's tiny speakers are not timbre-matched to your fronts and will inevitably distort the front sound-stage.)

The default settings for this receiver are to use the optical audio connections (which inlcude inputs and outputs, so be careful what you're plugging into) to DVRs and other recording devices. By default the digital coax input one is assigned to the DVD player. You may need to reassign whichever optical input you're connecting to to "DVD" in order for the system to properly process the sound. Unfortunately you can't just use a 75 ohm coax cable with an RCA connector to run from the Blu Ray player to the Denon's coax Digital input # 1, because you're Blu Ray player doesn't have a coax digital output

You might also try Samsung's on-line troublehshooting guide. Have you read the troubleshooting steps in the User's Guide?

Regards,

Joe

googus

Grip
Real Name
Greg
Joe, Thank you very much for taking your time to deal with me
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

You can tell my experiance when I can't spell..

The Denon AVR does not have HDMI imputs I guess because it is about 8-9years old. I do not use the coax feed. The only item that is connected to the receiver is Optical spot 1from the Blu Ray player. I have look at the trouble shooting and the problem is still there via Manual that can w/Blu Ray player.

I normally do not use TV audio while playing movies. But, I have been since I have connect the new set & player. More or less I have been adjust audio from stereo for Base & surround then I use TV for voices.

I will research more off the link U provide but since I don't have internet now it is pick and choose.

Thanks
Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks