What's new

Audio PCI card recommendations for new G4? (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hi all -

i've got a friend who is looking for a decent audio pci card for his new g4. he's looking for something that will allow him to send an analog signal from reel-to-reel, cassette, records, etc., and make cd's out of them.

his only concern is that it provide a good quality analog input stage. he says he's done some pretty extensive internet searching (he has strong pc skills) and couldn't really come up with an answer.

he didn't mention price so all recommendations are appreciated.

tia

WoodyH

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I don't have a G4 yet (currently, just a B&W G3 and an iMac), but if I remember correctly, those don't have the standard audio-in jacks - hence why he thinks he needs a card.
If he does want to use a PCI slot, the Soundblaster Live! for Macintosh (though not the Live! 5.1) card is available.
Since the Mac already has such good onboard sound out capabilities, though, it might be cheaper to go with something like the Griffin iMic - a small USB device which adds audio input ports to the computer.
Also, there is currently a discussion going on here at Macintouch about various sound input options for new Macs, covering both software and hardware options, pre- and post-processing, and the like - your friend could probably find a wealth of information here.
Hope this helps!

Users who are viewing this thread