Audio output with DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrice D., Oct 21, 2002.

1. Patrice D.

Patrice D. Auditioning

I would like to know if there is an optimal configuration when I'm listening a DVD? I have a NAD C370 (stereo integrated amp) with a pair of Totem Arro and can only listen in stereo mode.

Is there a difference between the Stereo Surround and Dolby Digital when I'm doing the setup before viewing the DVD? Which mode should be the optimal one in stereo for such configuration?

If I have the choice, should I look for DVD with Stereo Surround 2.0?

Thanks.

2. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

If you can, you should try to use the setup options on your DVD player to default to straight stereo all the time. "Stereo surround" is, I believe another term for Dolby Stereo which is a surround format. As you are listening in stereo only you should be selecting the stereo track when playing DVD's. That way you will be sure that your analog-out L/R jacks deliver full stereo sound. Virtually all DVD's have a stereo only selection.

3. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

All DVD players will downmix Dolby Digital surround sound tracks to two-channel stereo, but it's not always an optimal mix. If the particular DVD you are watching has a Dolby Surround 2.0 track, select it instead of the 5.1 track. If the disc does not have a 2.0 track (not all do), you'll have to make do with the downmix.

Your DVD player also might have some options in its set-up menu. I know my Sony allows me to tell it if I don't have surround, and I believe it will do a better job of mixing the surround material into the 2.0 analog outputs. I've never needed to use this option, though.