What's new

Audio Output from Xfinity TV (1 Viewer)

Manh

Auditioning
Real Name
Arun Bagavan
Hello,
I own a Sony Bravia TV (2015 model) which is connected to Sonos Soundbar and Sonos Subwoofer.
Until recently, I had DirecTV service and watching movies was a pleasure with very high sound quality coming out of the 2 Sonos speakers. Especially while watching any action movie, the sound output was mind boggling!
Now I switched to Xfinity TV. Even on a HD channel watching an action movie, it seems to have lost the charm. There is no oomph! The audio output from the same 2 Sonos speakers is nowhere near what I enjoyed while I had DirecTV.
I ran diagnostic tests with Sonos technical team and they said everything looks ok at their end. Finally when I asked the technician if Xfinity had poor audio channel, he hesitantly said 'yes'! So I am not sure if that is true!
Does anyone know if Xfinity is limiting it's audio channel as compared to DirecTV? Is that why the audio is poor?
Appreciate any kind of knowledge that you can share.
Thanks,
Manh

Manh

Auditioning
Real Name
Arun Bagavan
Hello Aaron,

I have X1 TV Box from Xfinity.
From Xfinity setup menu, my Audio setup is as follows:
Secondary Audio Setup = Off
HDMI Audio Output: Auto Detect (Dolby Digital 5.1). There other option is Expert Mode which is not selected
Digital Audio Output: Dolby Digital 5.1
Just changed these two settings to 5.1 as they were in Stereo. You think this would have been the issue? Still not tested the new settings fully.
Thanks!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The Xfinity X1 box will definitely sound much different when set to output DD 5.1 instead of stereo, so that could be your issue. I have the same service, and will switch between those two settings occasionally. Sometimes a sporting event will have too much audio in the surround channels, which I find distracting.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Does your Sonos setup simulate a 5.1 system? I'd be curious to hear whether switching to 5.1 output made a difference.

If not, I wonder how the Sonos system handles a 2.0 stereo input. Does it have an adjustable crossover for the sub? I don't know how your particular system works, but it should be sending the low end of the stereo channels to the sub. If that isn't set correctly, then it might be sending lower frequencies to the soundbar speakers than they can handle. That'd definitely result in less "oomph."

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AaronChi
Recent bookmarks