Audio out of TV w/o out ports??

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by BillCool, Dec 21, 2005.

1. BillCool

BillCool Auditioning

Not sure if this is in the right forum, but hopefully someone can help...Mods, feel free to move this if necessary.

I have an older TV hooked up to a theater-in-a-box (college budget). The TV has no RCA in/outputs, so it's hooked up through an RF adapter right now. I'd like to be able to have cable TV and my PS2 play through the surround speakers. Is there any way to do this w/o buying a new TV?
    Thanks!

2. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
    With HT, the tv is used only for video. Everything should hook up to the back of your receiver. Then the output on back of receiver that is "Monitor Out", will hook up to the RF adapter. Then RF adapter to tv.
    Unless you don't have inputs on back of receiver? If you only have one input, you can get an A,B,C,D, switch from radio shack, run everything into it, out from it to receiver, from receiver to RF adapter, from that to tv. Can get a little complicated, but usually able to workout somehow.
    Good luck!
    Hope this helps? [​IMG]

3. BillCool

BillCool Auditioning

Thanks Ed. I don't know if I only have one set of inputs on the receiver, but I'll keep this in mind when I take a look at it. But once I get this all hooked up, I should be able to put the receiver on Aux or something, and have the desired audio come out?

4. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
    If the input on the back of the receiver says Aux, then you'll put the receiver on Aux. If it's a dvd input, you'll put it on dvd. See what I'm getting at? [​IMG]

5. BillCool

BillCool Auditioning

OK, so I guess I'm still kind of confused... I'm sorry, I'm usually not so stupid with electronics... But see the link below for a "picture" of my setup now. I think I understand that by sending the PS2 into one of the receiver's "Video In" ports, the sound'll go through the speakers if I have the DVD on. I'm still not understanding how to get cable sound through it though, since there's no cable port. Does the ABCD switch have RCA outs on it?

//i31.photobucket.com/albums/c399/MustangWTC/untitled.jpg
    Picture there^^ - gotta cut and paste, since i can't post a link till I have 15 posts...

6. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    You can get sound from the game console by plugging the audio out on the console directly into an audio in on the receiver, but that connection won't do you any good when it comes to getting surround sound from cable television. The only way you'll be able to do that is if you use the tuner on the VCR to change channels and connect the audio out on the VCR to an audio in on the receiver.