What's new

Audio Or Video: What's More Important To You? (1 Viewer)

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
A recent thread in Hardware made me curious to others' priorities. I used to be more of an audio nut, growing up with stereos and LPs. My transition to HT was a natural course but I always put more money into audio in the early years. It wasn't until I saw a friend's 11' diagonal screen in '94 that I realized how much more important video was for cinema-like experience (to me). I would definitely take a front projector setup with a $600 HTB over a 20" TV with separates, tower speakers and a car-sized subwoofer.
So my obvious vote is Video.
------------------
Link Removed
My Home Theater Pics
My Equipment List
My DVD Collection
Link Removed

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Video. My directional hearing stinks, so expending a lot of time or money on incremental audio improvements isn't going to net me much.
[Edited last by Jason Seaver on September 26, 2001 at 02:40 PM]

JustinT

Stunt Coordinator
Audio. I dont have enough money for a widescreen tv, so my 27" will have to do for now.
frown.gif

------------------
My DVD's

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I have to go with Video. If the video sucks, the movie can be virtually unwatchable, regardless of what type of movie it is. Sound plays a more important role in some movies than others obviously. Video is ALWAYS important to a MOVIE! After all, the first movies didn't even have sound!

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Audio.
That is a complex question though. With video quality being the way it is with dvd these days, I would settle for a slightly worse picture (still good though as I remember the vhs days) in order to get kick ass sound.
orangeman
------------------
Link Removed

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I was thinking about this a little more, and I am even more convinced that VIDEO is more important.
I have the DTS version of Apollo 13. The audio is great. The picture SUCKS by todays standards. Very soft picture etc. I really enjoy this movie, but I just can't stand to watch it because the picture bugs the crap out of me! If the audio was not great, i.e., it was pro-logic or something, I would have a much easier time watching it that way than with the poor video quality.
Just my 2 cents.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Video. I will listen to a scratchy mono soundtrack before I'll watch a non-anamorphic picture.
------------------
Bombardment Society - Member

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Picture quality for me definitely, audio is great fun and a very important enhancement to enjoying today's films, but if the picture sucks I'll probably never watch that movie ever again, and if the sound isn't the best it could be I wouldn't know the difference anyway, so I would still happily enjoy a movie with less than perfect sound, erm did any of that make any sense?
POSTED BY STEVE 'IF ITS LOUD I'LL TAKE IT' CHRISTOU.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Ill have to go with audio right now because I'm still stuck with my 27" display. When I get my Widescreen RPTV, then we'll see how I feel. Chances are it will still be audio though since that is what I feel draws me into the "experience"
------------------
Rich
"A) You can never go too far and B) If I'm going to get busted it is NOT going to be by a guy like DAT."
My Website

Jim_F

Screenwriter
My video upgrades have tended to be attempts to get a picture worthy of previous audio upgrades. My spending on my system is about 2/3 audio and 1/3 video.
Audio.

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
I think the video is more important as well. Of course both are important, there are examples where I have not been able to comprehend what has been said in an audio track, but this is also due to my understanding of english of course, so both can destroy the experience. But since movies are primarily a visual medium, video quality is more important to me. My hearing could be a little better as well, and even in cinemas I have trouble picking up surround effects as good as it seems other people are, so that is why I am still content with my old second hand prologic receiver. I have heard some Dolby digital and DTS setups over at friends, but I think there is not very much to gain for me, although I still want a better setup for myself. I also figure a really good, as in really expensive, receiver and speakers might help me, but I feel a bit insecure about spending so much cash on something I am not entirely sure I will enjoy all that much.
------------------
"You're 10 seconds away from the most embarrassing moment of your life!"
Click here to admit you want to see Ford Fairlane on DVD!
DVD List Link Removed

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Let's see,
cds - audio is more important
dvds - video is more important
Seems obvious to me.
------------------
13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

JohanK

Second Unit
For me it is probably audio...an answer which comes about b/c the HT is dual purpose (music and movies). However, I just got a projector so we'll see if MHO changes.
------------------
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/equipment/28687.html

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks