Audio Only System

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom Boucher, Oct 30, 2001.

1. Tom Boucher

Tom Boucher Second Unit

I've finally purchased a home, and we have a nice living room and actually bought furniture for it.
    But, when I sit in an empty room with no TV, I like to read with music in the background. Is there a system that is unobtrusive in decor (IE not tons of flashing LEDs on the front), not 'cheap' meaning the little 'boom box' type systems that would build a nice ambient sound for the room, etc.
    This would also need to meet with spousal approval in that the speakers aren't ugly, gigantic,etc, but must meet with my approval sonicly as well?
    It's a hard sell, I mentioned it once already, and got a NO screamed but she's probably thinking what we have up in the Theater Room.
    Any suggestions? I started thumbing through the NAD website, they were who I first thought of when I thought 'mid-range to high end Audio only' but I hvae no idea what i should do for a L/R speaker.
    Thanks
    TOm
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection

2. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

B&k PT3BII , ST2140, AND A PAIR OF CONCERTO'S FROM SONUS FABER...ADD A SUB IF YOU WISH (AND CAN HIDE IT FROM YOUR WIFE), AND A 2 CHANNEL SACD PLAYER...SONUS' LOOK AND SOUND GREAT AND THE B&K IS NOT A FLASHY PIECE

3. Salvatore Restivo

I agree about the Sonus Fabers. They are beautifully made (in Italy) with solid, polished walnut cabinets finished in leather. And the sound is breathtaking. If your budget allows, also consider the Electa Amator IIs, which were recently reviewed in one of the major U.K. audio magazines.

4. Salvatore Restivo

Oh, and bear in mind that most of the Sonus Faber line performs best with lots of good amplifier power. They aren't the most efficient speakers around.

5. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Not knowing your specific budget:
    Speakers:
    AV Reality 3D ($1,500?) or AV Reality Avinci 3.3 ($900?)
    nOrh SM 6.9 ($995) or 9.0 ($3,000)
    ACI Jaguar ($2,500) or $800 for the DIY kit
    CD player:
    nOrh CD-1 - $799, silver interconnects included
    Preamp:
    nOrh ACA - $900
    Amp:
    Odyssey Stratos - $1,000
    nOrh Le Amp (pair) - $495
    It really all depends upon what your budget is.