Audio on the fly reduces available bit rate for picture?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt_Stevens, Oct 4, 2001.

1. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

Question. Do you decrease the video bit rate by allowing audio track switching on the fly?
    It is my understanding that if you have two soundtracks (DD5.1 & DTS), you can disable audio switching, so that only one is up at a time, allowing more bits for the picture.
    If both can be had at any given time, then you need bits for both. Correct?
    Does this question make sense?
    The new Terminator has the highest consistent bit rate I have ever seen and audio on the fly is disabled.
    Anyone? [​IMG]
    ------------------
    www.deceptions.net/superman

2. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    Whether or not audio tracks can be changed on the fly has no effect on data consumption.

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Also, there is NO excuse for locking my audio button, EVER
    I realize that seamless branching requires this, but Disney, PLEASE stop using it just to present titles. That's what alt. angles are for. If people object to the camera icon, tell them to read their manual how to turn it off
    Jeff Kleist

4. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

So is there any reason for not offering on-the-fly audio switching, other than lazy DVD authoring?
    ------------------
    Home Theater Pictures

5. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink

6. Roland Wandinger

Roland Wandinger Stunt Coordinator

7. richard plumb

richard plumb Stunt Coordinator

OK, so can we expand on the phantom specification for next generation DVD?
    Two independently tracking lasers, enabling audio and video to be separated, allowing maximum use of bitrate for video.

8. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    I take it then that it is just laziness that prevents from switching on the fly?

9. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

One reason you'll see switching on the fly disabled is due to DTS. If a title has DTS, some older players would pass noise from the analog outputs. I think many authors didn't want someone to blow anything up while cycling through audio tracks on the fly.
    I find it hard to believe it would be "laziness" because I think the authoring systems default to allowing you to change on the fly-- so someone actually has to go out of their way to disable that.
    -Vince
    ------------------
    http://www.musicianassist.com
    AIM: VinceMaskeeper
    Interested in moving into FRONT PROJECTION with huge 6-10 foot widescreen? Buy my whole HDTV-ready CRT based front projection system delivered, cheap! Click here

10. Allen Wess

Allen Wess Auditioning

11. Jeremy Allin

Jeremy Allin Supporting Actor

I did a search and would like to revisit this topic.
    I think this is one the greatest features that DVD has to offer and many have it disabled, for what seems like no reason at all. This is something that bothers me to no end. Universal/Dreamworks and Disney seem to be the biggest offenders of disabling 'on-the-fly' audio switching.
    My latest experience with this is Jurassic Park III (a disc with no seamless branching or anything out of the ordinary). I love being able to set an A-B loop and compare DD/DTS tracks, but with the 'on-the-fly' option disabled it makes things very inconvenient.
    When it comes down it, I'm of the opinion that, like pan 'n scan, this is yet another example of studios placating the ignorant instead of rewarding the knowledgeable. Universal/Dreamworks & Disney wish to protect the majority of DVD watchers who do not have DTS capability (or home theatres for that matter) from accidentally choosing the DTS track on-the-fly and causing harm to their speakers. Further indication of this reasoning comes from the "are you sure?" warning we get when choosing the DTS track from the audio menu. DVDs like Titan A.E. (a Fox title) have no such warnings like this.
    Please, I'd like to hear some more comments on this.
    Later!
    Jeremy

12. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Screenwriter

My biggest pet peeve is not being able to switch audio tracks on "the fly". There are time when I like to switch from the film's soundtrack to the commentary track to examine a particular scene without having to go all the way to the main menu. Universal has been very bad about this. I mean, the copies I have of their "Classic Monster Series" do not have a DTS track. So the question remains, why do they disable it? How does it benefit the studio? At least the Pan and Scam issue can be seen as an economic one (albiet shortsighted) on the part of the studios. I, for one, would love to know.

13. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

I remember reading that Disney disables the audio button on its children's titles to prevent children from accidentally changing the audio. In theory, this makes sense, but I don't buy this argument. It certainly doesn't explain why they diable the feature on all their discs.

Disney also disables my ability to program titles, especially Title 1 (the main feature). For example, if I want to program my DVD player to play a trailer, then a music video, then the movie, then a making-of featurette, I can't do it.

Why in the name of god would it make a difference to Disney if I want to progam my DVD?