Audio on DirecTV/HBO

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BlaineJ, Jul 30, 2001.

1. BlaineJ

BlaineJ Extra

Is anyone else having audio probs on HBO on DirecTV lately?
    Ever since DirecTV started passing the Dolby Digital signal on HBO, I've had problems with audio. Sometimes the audio will cut in and out every few minutes, other times it seems like it will do it SEVERAL times a minute.
    Last night during Sex and the City (when it had gotten REALLY bad)I was able to alleviate some of the problems by going into my sat receiver menu and changing audio from AC3 to English1. That worked for a while but then during Six Feet Under, the audio cut out completely and did not return.
    I switched it back to AC3 and it seemed to be okay.
    Anyone else been having weird problems such as these on DirecTV/HBO?
    ------------------
    My Home Theater

2. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

I was trying to watch Sex And The City last night also. Even though the sound was supposed to be in DD, it kept switching between DD and DPL. My DBS receiver has the sound set to Auto so it kept constantly switching. Very annoying. I turned off my stereo receiver and the sound still kept cutting out. I finally turned to a different channel because the show was unwatchable. I hope this doesn't keep up.

3. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    Yeah, the same thing was happening to me. When I changed my receiver to just Dolby Surround, it was fine. I think HBO has been having issues with Dolby Digital since they started doing it a few weeks back.

4. BlaineJ

BlaineJ Extra

I'm glad it's not just me.
    But I sure as hell ain't gonna call tech support. Last time I called (2 weeks ago) to ask why I wan't getting Dolby Digital from HBO, they didn't have a clue what I was talking about - I'm sure this would be no different.
    ------------------
    My Home Theater

5. JohnDG

JohnDG Stunt Coordinator

I was getting the following:
    DTC100:
    * DD5.1 optical out, OK.
    * DS stereo out, continuous drops
    Philips DSR6000
    * DD5.1 optical out, OK.
    * DS stereo out, OK.
    jdg