What's new

Audio noise (popping) playing blu-rays player? tv? (1 Viewer)

comfortablynumb

Auditioning
Real Name
Dennis
I have a rebranded Funai TV (Sylvania) (latest firmware) about year and a half old, and a Sony BDP-S470 Blu-Ray player (latest firmware) some movies play fine others there is an intermitent audio noise, popping sound. The worst offender so far was Star Trek Into Darkness and Drive. Well others such as Hugo & True Grit play fine.

I have a 6' Fosmon HDMI cable, and I just also purchased a 6' Monoprice Premium HDMI cable to see if it was possibly the cable. I've tried both HDMI1 and HDMI2 ports on the TV...I've tried messing with all the audio settings in blu-ray player to no avail.

I don't have any other TV's I can plug my blu-ray player into, my comptuter monitor doesn't support HDMI either so I can't try that. I have some analog RCA cables on order from Monoprice so I may try running the audio to an old 90's Sony Pro-Logic Receiver and see what happens that way.

Any other ideas in the interm

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
My guess is the audio mix is too hot for the TV speakers to handle.

I listened to the opening sequence of ST:ID via a Sony S350 to a Hitachi plasma(that actually has decent sound) and it does not pop. I do not have Hugo or TG. Did not try Drive.

comfortablynumb

Auditioning
Real Name
Dennis
Yea it kinda reminds me of hot mastering, I didn't think that was an issue in blu-rays but I should know better I guess..I watched World War Z this am and noticed this noise yet again. Wonder if PC speakers would help in the interm, I mean they would have to be better then the tiny speakers in this TV though not sure if it has head phone out or not. Long term solution I guess would be an HDMI based receiver or a sound bar, but since I already have decent fronts and I guess now a vintage Klipsch center channel I bought in the 90's an HDMI receiver would be the best way to go.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If your TV has any audio out, you can connect it to a stereo receiver. You don't "have to have" HDMI.

If it has a headphone, use a 1/8th to RCA.
If it has a digital, buy a digital to analog adapter(about $20-$40...depending how good of one you want)

comfortablynumb

Auditioning
Real Name
Dennis
Ok it has analog out, still waiting for RCA cables, and a have 3.5mm out...If I do analog to the old pro-logic receiver should I change the audio settings in the player to downmix to PCM? Thanks for your help

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Well, your TV is doing the "downmix to PCM" itself...

I doubt you will notice a difference. And your player should have already been set downmix PCM. I'm kinda shocked the TV can digest DD or even DTS.

comfortablynumb

Auditioning
Real Name
Dennis
Well just to update I turned
BD Audio Mix Setting to off and knock on wood the same movies are better but I'll have to experiment with it a bit more to make sure that's was 100% the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks