What's new

audio mode (1 Viewer)

luxasia

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
Folks,

need opinion on the following;

1. which audio mode is best to play the movies - pcm, dolby digital , dts or thx ?
2. my onkyo 875 has so many sound option to choose from. However, after trying all, i just stick to the basic dts or dolby digital depending on the source. Sounds clearer as well as louder. Am I not using my amp to the fullest?
It has dts neo, nueral thx 5.1, pure audio, pro logic 2 and many many more.

Thanks

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1. PCM is usually plain stereo. Dolby Digital and DTS are two surround sound formats. To hear them, you need to set your DVD player to output the digital audio in raw mode so your receiver can decode it properly. THX is not a sound format but a set of standards related to the audio and video.
2. I use DD and DTS when watching DVDs that have these formats. Sounding louder may or may not be a function of the format rather it is how the audio engineer intended that particular soundtrack to be. You may not be taking advantage of all the features of your receiver but it doesn't matter. You are using the features properly.

To me, those other surround formats are just fake sounding.

-Robert

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
I'm with Robert on this one. DTS and DD are codecs, or differernt methods of compressing the audio. PCM is raw digital audio (like a WAV file). The rest are all DSP's (Digital Signal Processing) that attempt to simulate certain sounds by post-processing the decoded audio, and most (to my ears) sound fake and gimmicky. I stick with the best audio available via the format I'm playing at the time (DD/DTS for DVD, TrueHD, DTS-HD, LPCM for BD), with no post-processing needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks