What's new

Audio level problems after getting external speakers (1 Viewer)

crobs808

Auditioning
I am a technical person, but I just cannot wrap my head around this. Probably because I am technical in the computer arena but not AV. I am a visual person, so I also made a picture that shows my setup, which is probably a lot easier than trying to explain it all in text.

So, here is my setup (click to enlarge):
home-theater-setup.jpg

Problem: Audio levels - After hooking up the external Logitech speakers, we had to disable the built-in TV speakers because there was slight delay between the TV speakers and the new external ones. Disabling the TVs internal speakers takes the TV audio remote out of the picture, as it only controls the internal speaker volume (not anything hooked up to the universal out). So - When watching content on the home theater PC, we have to change the audio within Windows 8 up and down to not be too loud or too soft. Sometimes this is not enough, so we manually adjust the knob on the Logitech speakers. When switching to the Wii source, the volume is crazy loud, and we have to manually turn down the knob on the speakers (since the Wii has no internal audio level like Windows does). When switching back to the home theater PC, the audio is too low again and thus the cycle continues. Would a receiver fix this problem? if so please explain, because I do not really understand what receivers do or how to use them. I just want my audio control back via one remote.

Advice is much appreciated! I would be fine to buy a receiver (if that is the fix), but I do not want to ditch the Logitech's for new speakers as part of the solution. They were a somewhat expensive investment for me and are past the return date. Plus, I like the sound they put out.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That is a problem between every single source you are going to find.

It would help to include the model number of your set, cause some Panny have an internal volume compensator(amongst inputs)...if yours has it...use it.

crobs808

Auditioning
schan1269 said:
That is a problem between every single source you are going to find.

It would help to include the model number of your set, cause some Panny have an internal volume compensator(amongst inputs)...if yours has it...use it.
So I guess I have two problems:
Priority 1 - I want my remote back so I do not have to get up and down every single time I want to adjust volume since I have to do it physically now
Priority 2 - I want the volume to be level (this is secondary in priority to #1)

FYI - Yes, it has the volume compensation feature but it does not work. Model: TH-50PZ80U

Q: Is there any way on that TV model to have the internal speakers disabled but still use the remote for audio that is coming out of the composite out? That would solve both problems.

crobs808

Auditioning
schan1269 said:
There is no correction for how you have to use your speakers...since they aren't remote controlled.
Right, but isn't the point of a receiver to allow the use of a single set of speakers for multiple inputs, separate/apart form the TV speakers? If a receiver is not for that purpose just tell me to shut up, but I know that everyone does not have to get up and walk to their TV to change the audio every time they switch inputs...right?

FYI - My setup is not that unheard of. One HDMI and one Component...how do people use external speakers in a setup like this and have a remote? (or does everyone just settle for TV speaker audio?)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
1. You don't have a receiver(yet). So of course it will solve the problem of "not having one".
2. Your speakers aren't(really) intended for this purpose.
3. You are making due with a "non-optimal" situation.

So...Buy a "sound system" with a remote control

choices...
1. Buying a sound bar
2. A receiver and speakers(2.0-5.1)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
And lastly...Panasonic didn't(for whatever reason) include variable audio output on that set.

It exists on both mine. Why it doesn't exist on yours...I have no idea.

Edit:
One last thing(then I'm done till you look for something else)...
Does the TV have a headphone jack?

I downloaded the manual on my phone the other day...not doing it again, just to check to see if it has a headphone jack.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks